Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with Buell ECM stuff? ECMSpy etc?

Hybrid View

I'm going to buy a Buell Ulysses. It has a Drummer exhaust already installed. I'm a bit paranoid about having trouble down the road if my ECM dies... having a new one setup to work with the Drummer. I'd like to have the ability to back-up the ECM maps on the bike so if I need to restore them down the road I can. I'd also like to be able to help others with their ECM problems or perform TPS resets for them. My question is...

If I buy a cable like this one: http://www.vtwintunerconnection.com/services.html or this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buell...#ht_1468wt_958

And I download ECM Spy 1.12.26 (I found this free) would these 2 things be all I need to back-up my current map and restore it to a new ECM if needed?

After I figure this out, I'd be willing to learn to do TPS resets and help out fellow Buellers in the area.

Thanks for any information any of you have.

Let me see if I understand the question....

You state that you and Dave have been working on tuning together, and you seem to have confidence in what he is doing.

But now, he suggests getting a firmware update from IDS and you are questioning his judgement?

Why not just do what he recommends? Do you not trust his judgement?

I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this...this is probably 10+++ datalogs to get to this point and now I have to pay IDS to reconfigure my existing ECM....The tuning portion he has been awesome...the idle issue has been the hurdle he has been struggling with...between the IAT settings, insulating the wire to the sensor, merging EBR files, now running into some "auto zeroing" issue...I just wanted to see if some of the senior Buell forum guys had a similar stuggle...that what I thought the forum was about??? Help a fellow Buell enthusiast in need...

My advice was to stick with what your tuner recommended.

If I was doing your tuning, and asked you to do something, and you chose to go elsewhere... well that would be the end of that. All those datalogs for nothing.

I think I know whats happening here, but the tuning and running in open loop is adding a whole bunch of variables, who knows whats been changed and whether its correct or not. Only Dave knows as running in open loop is his thing. Sounds like the firmware has been corrupted to me.

So, the tuning portion has been awesome up until the point he asked you to spend money?

I thought this was what you asked:

Quote Originally Posted by mpkopish View Post
    Anybody have any suggestions/comments to solve this issue?
    This is more likely what you meant:

Anybody have any suggestions/comments to solve this issue that I want to hear and will not cost money?
    Obviously my advice and your tuners advice are not valid.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-15-2020 at 11:42 PM.

Oh I forgot...If I do a TPS reset...its perfect...until I shut the bike down and restart....

Oh I forgot...If I do a TPS reset...its perfect...until I shut the bike down and restart....
    Which would lead me to think the firmware is corrupted.

You may be fighting two problems, also.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-16-2020 at 12:02 AM.

He also is not guaranteeing this will fix the issue because I think he is stumped. And when I spoke to Tim at IDS he cannot guarantee that the files will be compatible with the ecmdroid/spy files as he said he is not familiar with it. So I have 2 sources not guaranteeing success. That is why I am reaching out to the forum as the experiences with situations is vast amongst a forum? We are 95% percent there as the bike perform great but idle stoplight to stop light is the problem. In heavy traffic its very annoying to be at 1300 rpms and the start hunting from 1050 to 1300. Takes all the good out of it....

Now this information is helpful. I'm with them on thinking this is likely a firmware issue, but I couldnt guarantee it.

A "certain forum member" wound up discovering a weird driveability issue that turned out to be a bad ECM, which baffled all of us as it gave no clues of being defective.

Is it running rich when it starts hunting or lean? Unfortunately, running in open loop is going to make it difficult to tell, but maybe you have access to a portable sniffer?

The problem with most of my advice is that it is going to be to unwind most of Dave's tuning and modifications. I will state that I am NOT a better tuner or more knowledgable than he.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-15-2020 at 11:57 PM.

when I check the IAT setting after doing the TPS reset and running it is at 97% so it tells me it is leaning it out...correct? When I shut the bike off and restart it goes back to 100% as if the TPS is going back to default after cycling the power- which is Daves theory. And since he was using a EBR tune he said there was there is some type of auto zero funtion that is used in a BUE2D firmware. Thats why he wants to try upgrading the firmware...does that make sense?

And by the way it originally wasn't about the money because I initially spent 300, + 150 with IDS, 180 with EJK-piggyback tuner, and 180, +150, + 50 with David. If it was my harley or most Japanese bikes I would have used my powervision and been done with it...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast