Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with Buell ECM stuff? ECMSpy etc?

Thanks Cooter, I am going to copy your thread and email David as I believe this is good information...As far as sending to IDS, I am probably better off finding a new ECM with the BUE2D firmware rather than wasting $50 dollars plus shipping and have a plastic brick as you say....thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by mpkopish View Post
    And by the way it originally wasn't about the money because I initially spent 300, + 150 with IDS, 180 with EJK-piggyback tuner, and 180, +150, + 50 with David. If it was my harley or most Japanese bikes I would have used my powervision and been done with it...
    If it’s not about that money, why not just send it to IDS like Dave requested? Dave may not be the most liked person in the Buell community, but he is a smart cookie. I may not agree with his thoughts on tuning, and other things but I respect them.
    However , you have gone so far down this path with him, why stray?
    Have you checked with any of the Buell Facebook forums about this issue? I think most of the ECM tuning hotshots hang out there. I only dive into mine when the bike is having issues. They do it for fun.

It's hard to jump in and even pretend to know how far you two have gone in the tuning process, but I would diagnose it this way:

1) I know this is odd, but hear me out. Connect ECMDroid, look at the data channels, reset the TPS, and note the value (should be about 4*). Now fetch, and re-burn, the same program. Did the value stay? Does it still stay after cycling the key?

2) I think you mean IAC at 97 not "IAT" and thats well within normal running. According to the manual it takes "10 minutes of idling" to re-set the IAC after a change. Are you doing that? or are you shoving in a program and going for a hot lap immediately ?

3) Beg, borrow, or steal, a stock ECM and no matter how it runs... does it still have the same symptoms? Yes? Well then you just eliminated both the ECM and the tune from being the problem. Maybe your tuner has one you can borrow?

never been on the Buell Facebook before...as far as downloading the file and resetting the TPS then noting the value and then fetching and reburning the same file...have not done that before. Will try it. And as far as running it after a TPS reset-I usually idle it for 5 minutes or so then run stop light to stop light to the freeway and run about 10 miles each way before calling that a complete TPS reset. and I actually did ask David about having another ECM with the BUE2D firmware on it as well as sending Cooters comments to show another similar experience to him. Thanks for the advice guys as this has been a more challenging task than I ever dreamed of.

TPS re-set functions immediately.

IAC re-set needs "10 minutes of idling".

No stop lights, no freeway, no BS. Most electronic things are pretty particular that you follow the instructions.

I'm with 34nineteen. If you trust your tuner, and your tuner is telling you to do something, I'd just do it. But whatever, your call.

Update....last night I was monitoring the data channel and logger while running...I noticed the TPS % steady at 3.8-4.0 at idle on first start up. blipped the throttle and it rose as I increase throttle percentage as normal. As the bike got hotter the bike started rising idle up to 1300 rpms and the drop to 1050 or so and at the same time the TPS percentage was fluctuating the same. Turned off the bike with the ignition on and it did the same thing. Called it a night and wanted to see what it did cold with the ignition on the next day. This morning I turned the ignition on monitored the TPS on the data channel and it was steady at 3.8% blipped the throttle-steady as could be...returned back to stationary position and it was steady as could be...I think TPS is bad and starts acting up when engine gets hot....what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by mpkopish View Post
    Update....last night I was monitoring the data channel and logger while running...I noticed the TPS % steady at 3.8-4.0 at idle on first start up. blipped the throttle and it rose as I increase throttle percentage as normal. As the bike got hotter the bike started rising idle up to 1300 rpms and the drop to 1050 or so and at the same time the TPS percentage was fluctuating the same. Turned off the bike with the ignition on and it did the same thing. Called it a night and wanted to see what it did cold with the ignition on the next day. This morning I turned the ignition on monitored the TPS on the data channel and it was steady at 3.8% blipped the throttle-steady as could be...returned back to stationary position and it was steady as could be...I think TPS is bad and starts acting up when engine gets hot....what do you guys think?
    Get some "freeze spray" and spray the TPS when the motor gets hot to cool the part down and see if the values come back to normal. It could also be a leaking seal which is leaking more/less air as the motor warms up and things expand. Every time I come up with a possible theory I have to shoot it down once I realize its running open loop.

you are forgetting something...I elimated the engine because I turned the ignition on but did not start it as mentioned earlier...its a rheostat...

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Get some "freeze spray" and spray the TPS when the motor gets hot to cool the part down and see if the values come back to normal. Every time I come up with a possible theory I have to shoot it down once I realize its running open loop.
    Fixed.

Don't know if its fixed but it sounds good in theory...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast