Thread: 06 XB12R Couple Things

Hey Everyone..
    I got my bike towards the end of the year last year, as this is my first sportbike I have a few things to learn (Maybe quite a few). Luckily, I'm not new to owning and working on the V-Twin motor.

When I got it last year, I noticed a few things right off the bat. (They all seemed pretty common)
    It stumbled off idle, and every now and again just cruising at lower speeds my check engine light would come on, I could vary the throttle and it would turn off.
    I figured I do most of the mods recommended, change up the exhaust and go from there.

Last week I got my muffler back from Hawk and got everything back together. While working on it I found it already had a K&N High flow filter.

The following is a list of things I accomplished:

Crankcase Breather Mod
    Added extra holes in the airbox to increase airflow
    Flashed the ECM with the race map
    Plugs/Wires/Oil/Filter
    TPS reset

While doing the TPS reset, my battery was weak and I had to wait for it to charge prior to setting the idle. When it was charged I went ahead and finished setting the idle.
    Everything sounded and ran great, I took it out for a ride, (Can't say that I stuck to the 3000 RPM range, cuz well you know how one can get carried away) but before the end of the ride, I noticed it surging a bit at idle, and the revs didn't always want to come right down when I would slow to a stop.. My ride was just under 150 miles and I was happy to see the check engine light had stayed off.
    Well I jumped on it this morning to come to work, the surging was still there as well as it didn't want to rev back down normally, but in addition to those I saw my check engine light come on again. A quick blip of the throttle made it disappear.
    I'm planning on doing another TPS reset (because I think I sabotaged the learning process by playing around) and I'm gonna check all my hoses from the reroute to make sure everything is as tight as it should be, but other than that I'm not sure where to look next other than to learn how to fine tune the maps better with ECMSpy. I guess it's time to read through the guide until it starts making sense.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms and if so what was your remedy?

I don't want to go back to the stock map because I really think it was running a bit lean with the K&N and I think I'm at a better starting point with the race map..

What do you guys think? Thoughts and or opinions are appreciated.

1. Check that you reconnected your IAT sensor after you did your breather re-route.

2. Make sure your throttle plate is absolutely closed all the way when you reset your TPS. Search other posts on various ways of doing this. I use ECMSPY readings to tell me when the throttle plate has stopped moving, snap the throttle a few times and back the idle adjust out another 1/2 turn just to be sure, but you might want to pull your airbox bottom off so you can visually inspect and make sure it's closed for peace of mind.

3. Pull your headlight fuse while doing your TPS reset or other ECMSPY work to minimize battery drain while doing the adjustments.

4. Since you just changed exhaust, your bike may run a little quirky until you do a tune. To get in the ballpark initially, you might ask around here and find out if someone with a similar setup can send you their ECM files (especially if they live somewhere near you or at least the same altitude/climate), and then tune from there.

5. When your idle is slow to return to normal, that could indicate that you've simply got your idle set just a wee bit high. Try lowering it just slightly to see if that clears it up.

Thanks Tork
    I did recheck all the hose connections, everything was good there. I did another TPS reset, I used the ECMSpy readings to determine whether or not the throttle was closed, and for good measure I turned it back another full turn to make sure.
    The battery wasn't an issue this time as it was just pretty low when I first started working on it last week.
    You nailed the issue on my idle/surging, I don't believe the engine was quite up to temp the first time I adjusted it. I was concerned about it overheating just idling in the garage but this time the bike was already warm so it didn't have to sit very long to come up to temp.
    I rode it in to work again today and it idles perfect and the surging has subsided.

Now I think it's time to get my tune on..

I do have another question for a sanity check though.

When I did the TPS reset I had to reconnect my ECMspy session directly after clicking on the TPS Reset button. Is this normal?

Yup. If I remember correctly, you'll also need to reconnect (by pressing the key icon button at the top left of the screen) whenever you switch screens in ECMSPY.