Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: XB Rear Engine Mount Warning

You can upload to photo bucket then get the direct link. Paste thate in the popup when you click image on here.

I just want to confirm this rear mount failure, I have an 04 XB12r with 2900 miles on it, never been dropped or in an accident, did probably a dozen wheelies on it, then was on my way to work and hit a pot hole, rear mount snapped the 2 top bolts off on the crankcase and snapped the ears off the mount on the bottom. I'll try to upload some pictures.

never had an issue with mine over the 9-1/2 yrs and 70k plus miles...'03 9s

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dmopar1 View Post
    I just want to confirm this rear mount failure, I have an 04 XB12r with 2900 miles on it, never been dropped or in an accident, did probably a dozen wheelies on it, then was on my way to work and hit a pot hole, rear mount snapped the 2 top bolts off on the crankcase and snapped the ears off the mount on the bottom. I'll try to upload some pictures.
    Please upload pictures. I recently hit a pothole so hard even the license plate had been bended by the rear wheel. But the muffler has no marks which is strange. Do you have scratches or dents on the muffler?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-19-2016 at 04:57 AM.

I believe your failure/broken rear isolator is an anomaly.

9+ years on my Buell, and I've put it through some hell, and I've had zero issues. 4 years as a member on the forum and since joining in 2012 this is the first rear isolator failure I've read about.
    I've hear of the front isolator having issues but that has also been pretty random.

The study that's referenced in the beginning of this zombie thread doesn't account for all the other systems on the bike that share in the load/stress/strain that the chassis is subjected to in a "typical" riding environment.
    The suspension, rear isolator, tie bars(top,rear and front), the V bracket and the front isolator all share the load/stress/strain of everyday riding.

So, to answer your post dmopar, you're that lucky one in one thousand.
    It's a crappy feeling. I know. I felt the same way when my crank bearing failed.
    It's just the luck of the draw.

Are you the original owner of the bike?
    Are you sure the bolts were properly torqued prior to hitting the pot hole? If the isolator bolts were over or under(loose) torqued that would dramatically reduce the service life of the isolator.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234