Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive backfiring

I have a hawkpipe and K&N airfilter. My bike has recently developed a backfiring problem. It happens when I roll on the throttle between 1500-2500 rpms, the bike backfires so bad that it kills the motor. It starts up just fine afterwards. I tried doing a TPS reset by running 10min above 3500 RPM. The problem is still there.
    I think one of the baffels broke free inside the muffler and the lack of proper backpressure is causing it. The bike seems a little slugish as well. Do you think I should get an ecu with a racemap from EBR, or go straight for sending the muffler back to Randy?

Either go for the race ecm from EBR, or get ecm spy and do it yourself. The combo of less back pressure and a much more free flowing air filter is causing you to run lean.

Depending on what year your bike is... When I shipped my exhaust to hawk I disconnected and sent him my ecm also. He put his custom tuned map onto my stock ecm for me. Runs great.

It could very well be the ECM. Or one of your spark plugs could be fouling put causing it to load up with fuel and igniting in the exhaust. I had that with my jardine I put a tune on my exhaust witch helped but then I switched to NGK iridium plugs and that also made a difference

fouled park plugs huh? I'll have to check them out. I didnt even think of that. I guess it could be that, and it seems like it could be getting worse.... Could quite possibly be.

First thing and say this to everyone , is it a backfire or exhaust pop. two did things. Backfire it is coming out your Carb , very bad thing . popping it coming from your exhaust not so bad and all the things that they are tell sould help either . but If is a true backfire have someone look at it , there might be more damage.

^ true I just assumed he meant exhaust popping.

exhaust popping - the exhaust is igniting inside the muffler.
    I didnt know it wasnt called backfiring, makes since when you think about it though. I guess thats just what i have always called it wrongly.

its an '06 xb12ss, so its not carburated...

I am a old hot rod guy . I had carbs blow apart .

nice! bet that sucked!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast