Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tire size and need to know how much of a gain i will get

i want to put a new tire on my 05xb12r, i was wondering will a 200 fit on there if not what you you suggest. my other question is i'm going to put the race kit on the bike, what kind of gains can i expect, what kind of numbers. and what should it run in the quarter mile...

A 200 tire will not fit on a stock set up, not to mention, why would you want that big of a tire on the back? It would handle horribly. and lastly all the info on possible mods and exhaust is on americansportbike.com

will a 190 fit on there, or is that not a good idea, whats the link to the specs of the quater and stuff

www.americansportbike.com

Just look for yourself. Look at the clearance between the side of the tire and the belt guard on the right side of the bike.

These are mesuared section widths of tires in inches

180 - 7.0866 in

190 - 7.4803 in

200 - 7.8740 in

there just isnt that much room to fit that much rubber on the back of the bike. Only way it could be possible is converting to chain or a smaller width belt drive. Too much work for 3/4 inch of tire.

Administrator
    How does a wider tire negatively affect your handling? Is there a ratio that you need to keep consistent with the front and rear tires?

No, there isnt really a ratio, but when you start uping the tire size, to an extent you will benefit due to the bigger contact patch. After that, you just get to a point where you are fighting the width of the tire to turn. The Buell is set up for the stock tire size for suspension and everything. You start throwing it off balance by changing things, your whole set up is never to full potential. It comes down to a form over function deal. If thats what you want, then by all means go for it. Me, I am happy carving corners like I am on rails, not just cruising the streets.

Administrator
    I get it. I think the stock tire size seems pretty beefy anyway.

Buellxb - You can go to a 200 if you run the narrow belt. I did the same swap on my Harley and put a 180 in the stock swingarm. i know for a fact the 200 will fit in that same swingarm. The thing is, you have to shim the drivebelt over away from the tire a bit. So now you are talking about a new pulley in the transmission, new spacers in the axle on both sides, a new pulley at the wheel and a new drive belt (or in my case a chain on the Harley). You will be into it a few hundred dollars, how bad do you want it? Doesn't your bike have a 180 in it? For the money, I think you would be happier with the tire that is on it. As for me, my Buell is fine, but I'm gonna go to a 200 on the Harley soon.

Yeah that may work on a Harley, but not on Buells man. Buells dont have wheel spacers. Of course there is room in the swingarm to put a 200. Easy. But, you would have to find someone to make you two one of a kind pulleys do get it to work or convert it to chain.

I have a 190 on the rear of my 2004 XB12R. It fit with no problems.

Brad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast