Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Hey there. I recently bought my first bike, an '05 Xb9sx. I love it! But, seeing as I am fairly new to the world of motorcycles I have a few questions.
    1. Sometimes when i try to start my bike i hit the ignition and all that happens is a loud clicking noise, what is this and how can I fix it?
    2. Every now and then ill forget to put the bike in neutral when I cut it off. It wont let me start the bike when it's in first, but I also cant shift into neutral unless I hold the clutch in and rock the bike forward. Is this normal?
    3. I noticed that there was a button at the front of the left side of the handle bar that seems to be a bright flasher, but it does nothing when I press it, what can I do to fix this?

I would greatly appreciate some advice!

P.S. has any one heard of a lightning to firebolt front end conversion?

Many ppl have done the front end conversion!, see if anybody wants to trae parts on here!

Questions 1 - It's hard to say without more info, but it could be one of many things. Could be as simple as a slightly drained battery, or could be a worn spot on the actual starter.

Question 2 - Some of the newer XBs had safetys added to prevent people from starting while in gear to prevent the nasty jerk forward if you weren't clutched. Also, it's tough to shift out of first when the bike is off because of the helical gears. The rock forward and back is totally normal.

Question 3 - Silly question, but can you turn the brights on full time? perhaps dead bulb?

Question 3 - Silly question, but can you turn the brights on full time? perhaps dead bulb?
    Ya, the bright turns on when I use the other switch. It's not the end of the world that this button doesnt work, I was more just curious if it would be an easy fix. But thanks for the answers. And just to show off, heres a picture I took of her the other night.

Sweet Pic/Bike man.

As far as that switch, it shouldn't be too tough. My guess is the wire into the switch has chaffed (spelling?) and grounded out. It's just a matter of opening the switch housing and checking it's connection there, and then chasing that wire down.

Good luck man, Congrats on the new bike.

@midnight Thanks man i'll take a look at it when I get home from work and see what I can come up with

what it sounds like to me if your not talking about the actual brights switch is the passing switch it flash's the brights on its more of a euro thing that they have on the buells it isnt supposed to keep them on just let people know you are plan to pass them

the clicking is from most likely a bad battery. check your grounds first though. since you just bought the bike i would almost guarantee it needs a new battery

I have had my 07 a few weeks and it was sluggish starting and running poorly. Turned out the neg battery cable was loose. That fixed the crappy running. Then a few weeks later the starter was clicking after a cold snap we have here in WA. Just buy the HD battery (about $100) and dont keep trying to start on a worn battery unless you like replacing starters. I would go ahead and check your stator and regulator if you have a shop manual (if not I recommend you buy one or find a free copy). Stators are notorious for failing especially if the previous owner used gear oil with gl 5 additive.

+1 on the battery. I got something similar, except mine was a cheeping instead of a clicking. Charged it with a battery tender till fun, and the noise stopped. Takes some juice to start these bikes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast