Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch adjustment

I have had my 2008 xb12r on the road the last couple days. I just bought the bike this winter so I am new to buells, but I need to adjust the clutch and had a few questions. I have read some places that a new gasket needs to be installed every time the clutch inspection cover is removed, and other places have no mention of a gasket. I havent even found where to get a new gasket for that so I need some advice from people who know more about the topic. Thanks for your help!

I have had the cover on and off half a dozen times, always re-used the gasket and have not had a leak yet.

ASB has the gaskets: http://www.americansportbike.com/sho...how/17101.html

I reuse the inspection covers a few time as they are just a low pressure seal, and actually only get fluid splashed on them since you only put a quart of fluid in the primary.

One more question on the subject. I am getting a little bit of clutch slip, is that a clockwise or counterclockwise turn on the adjustment screw?

A mod on this forum has made a video how-to for this.
    clutch adjustment.

A few gaskets in case of never hurts.Most times you can get by For a small amount of time on them.American Sport Bike /Harley Davidson/And I'm sure others can get the gaskets when needed.As far as the Clutch(primary)adjustment,Take the Small spring and lock plate[hex shape]off. Then you just take a flat screwdriver & 1st turn the adjuster screw counterclockwise till it just lightly bottoms(gently stops).NOW turn the same screw Clockwise 1/2 turn.You Can Start at (1/4 turn)[Suggested] cause sometimes the Hex doesn't line up but I don't know the wear on your clutch.Now if the Hex shaped lockplate won't line up with the recess in the outer Ramp, Slowly rotate the adjusting screw clockwise till it lines up.pop it back in.AFTER that is done and screws & plate are installed,Make SURE to [before starting the bike]PULL THE clutch Lever at least 3 times to set the Ramp assembly.Make sure to have [AT the LEVER]1/16 inch of freeplay. Easy on the bike the first 20 miles for best performance.~Jimi

anyone have any idea how to adjust my clutch?
    Harley did an oil/primary change and now the clutch is off from the way it was before. I have aftermarket ones...

thanx

First Make and Model plus Year helps when you first post a problem this way the members can help. Explain exactly SAY Like is the Clutch Lever To hard to pull? OR best describe what the bike is OR not doing. If the Bike is a Buell check the post above for adjustments.
    The Manuals at the Top of the Page for a Visual will help also. Daves Do IT Yourself (DTY videos all in one Thread), here on the Forum will also help you keep riding. Remember One thing at a time. Take your time learning your Bike. Welcome to the Forum. Ride Safe. *Jimi

ok so I still cannot get my bike performing the way it needs to with this information.

The video is nice, but, to a newb, its meaningless. I don't know what freeplay is.

My clutch slips like crazy. If I turn the adjustment screw counterclockwise, it still slips. How tight should the screw be? If I tighten it all the way, the rear wheel spins regardless of me pulling the clutch handle.

Oddly enough, the bike will also roll forward even though it is in gear without using the clutch handle (impossible to push start then).

If I turn the screw clockwise, the bike will no longer roll forward and backwards (i.e. it should be able to be push started if necessary). BUT the clutch slips worse than ever if I do this.

Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive how to for this? I will gladly rip this bike to shreds to get to the clutch and use a micrometer to make sure it does not need to be replaced.

However I have never done this and I don't even, honestly, know what a clutch looks like.

I havent ridden the bike in months due to the clutch slipping and multiple multiple multiple clutch adjustments.

Please help.

I have the shop manual pdf. It has a lot of information, but is not written for someone that is learning, but for someone that already knows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast