Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clutch adjustment

yep, very common on these bikes. the torque specs in the manual are not correct for the drain plug. how many rings came out?

you may be able to add a little extra thread lock and an extra o-ring and run it with not leaks if it wasn't too damaged?

When I first removed the bolt, one thread. Then when I finally got it to thread back on, the bolt continually spun once it was screwed all the way on. When I remove it again, it was loaded with little sharp rings.

I'm going to take the bolt into lowes and find a threading kit a size or two up from the bolt.

So I rethreaded it, and have a big bolt from god knows what jammed in there now. I trimmed it to make sure it wasn't too tall so as to poke something in the bike.

Then I put fresh oil in it and.....still the same problem.

I follow the instructions to a tee, and I still have barely any grab.

Then I screw the adjustment screw much farther counter clockwise than I should...no grab at all.

Then I screw the adjustment screw much father clockwise than I should...barely any grab.

The next step will be to remove the clutch assembly and measure some plates, am I right?

Does anyone have a comprehensive how to on this?

I assume I will need to drain all my fresh oil out of it...

Is it: Remove the big cover from the side, unbolt main chain drive thing, unbolt chain tensioner holder thing, pul out ring spring thing from outside of clutch pack, unbolt clutch pack, pull out clutch pack, disassemble clutch pack, measure clutch plate thingies?

If the clutch plate things are thinner than spec time for a new clutch assembly?

Assistance is very much appreciated. I've never messed with clutches, do I need some sort of special tool?

I was riding my 05 XB12S when I got to the stop light pulled the clutch in and it still wanted to go then it died because I put the brakes on. The clutch leaver is loose and the cable will not move. When I put in neutral it makes a bad noise. What could be the problem?

You resurrected a dead thread. However, it's relevant to your issue so your shouldnt catch too much grief.
    Have you opened up the clutch inspection/primary fill cover? My guess is the area on your primary cover that retains your clutch ramp has cracked or is broken. Either that or your clutch cable snapped.
    Take a look at your cable and inside the clutch inspection area and let us know what you find.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123