Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05 XB9SX misfire when warm, only over 3k rpm.

Just started yesterday. If it's cold, it won't misfire. Once it gets warm, it only misfires over 3k RPM, and only with steady throttle. Cruising at 60mph, it'll start misfiring, and as soon as I get back on the throttle, it runs fine. Did I just get some bad gas? Would a TPS reset do anything? I'm pretty sure it's never had one done in 35k mi. Plugs were just replaced 150mi. ago.

Thanks

I have a similar issue at 3-4K rpm. Are you using anything for fuel management? any mods?

I posted on someone elses thread where the fuel controller is suspect.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...-Controller...

Fuel controllers

Best solution is to use ecmspy push a race map onto your ecm.

Yeah I'm trying to locate a cable to try out ECMspy. The thing is, I've had a chance to do a little more searching and it appears that this problem does not only affect people running a fuel controller. Other people have had the issue.. even with the race maps. Unfortunately, different things have fixed it for different people. TPS reset, ECM tune, better ground, injectors, and fuel regulator have been solutions in a lot of the threads I've read lol.

I just have trouble understanding why it randomly appears for people. I also have trouble understanding how the bike can run perfectly fine idling, accelerating, and at WOT but cuts out at ~3K RPM with steady throttle.

When/if you get your cable it will be evident. Mine used to have surging at 3k-4.5k. I've changed a lot in my fueling and it pretty much completely gone. The reason why different fixes work for different people is because every bike is not made the same and driven in the same environment. One map can't work for every environment. You can get a cable at www.xoptiinside.com.

Sounds like it's got the airbox "hiccups". If you've not already done them:

- Breather Reroute & swap out your plugs for the NGK Iridiums (DCPR9EIX).

Im not sure if the reroute has been done on this bike yet but I plan on checking that as well as replacing the plugs. The bike normally runs fairly rich so Im sure the plugs could use replacing. I also plan on improving the ground, resetting the TPS, running a little seafoam through, and tuning the ECM a bit. They all seem like fairly easy/cheap things to do and Im guessing that somewhere along the way my problem will be fixed and the bike will run even better throughout the RPMs.

nevermind the first part.. the reroute looks like it would be pretty obvious. I dont think its been done, lol.

Wow, last time I checked, nobody had responded. I'm not running any type of fuel management. The only thing done mechanically is a Hawk muffler and breather reroute. Just changed out plugs to NGK's before riding, along with doing the breather reroute. Just got my ECMSPY cable yesterday, but haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. I'll try the race map first, I guess. Thanks for all the info!

Did you gap the plugs correctly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast