Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something's Leaking...

Hey guys,

Took my bike to work today and as I was leaving work I saw this: (see pics). I just got a buell but i didn't see anything leaking like this on my jap bikes - anyone have an idea ? from the touch and consistency it seems like engine oil - couldn't be gasoline right cause that would have more of a distinct smell... [img]null[/img]

engine oil does seem a bit low - but i don't really remember how much it was before the ride...

any thoughts would be appreciated-

-pete

also thought i'd mention: it's a 2005 xb9sx with 7500 miles, just got it from a original owner last week...

Leaking breather reroute

If its oil and your bike still lacks the breather mod it is probably oil from your airbox. Pull the air filter apart and see if the oil is from the engin vent blowing the oil up into the airbox.

Does your bike have the breather reroutedone and or the Airbox delete?

A lot of us do the breather reroute because the factory setup kind sprays this oily water discharge all over the inside the of the airbox. Though I can't say I have heard of it to the point where it would be dripping/leaking out. The tank overflow valve and line are also under the cover on the front right side and the line usually goes over the airbox top. If it was it would have more of a smell and probably have evaporated quickly. Also not sure what year they changed over but I think I remember some of the earlier gas tanks have a cut out on the left side of the tank (over where the two streams seem to be dripping down on your scoop).

If the reroute was done by the last owner maybe one of his connections wasn't secured tightly. Hope this helps a little.

you need to trace it back to its source!! take the scoop off see wher it coming from and then remove the airbox and do the same look for oil or the liquid and where its coming from ,.....

what does it smell like , does it smell like oil ?? or WHAT??

kinda looks like some one spilled something on your bike, and mayhave wiped it off your frame/tank and not the rest.

I would bet good money that the reroute has not been done, and that the oil is coming from the airbox, and down through the snorkel hole. I wonder if the oil was overfilled?

thanks guys - i don't think the reroute was done. What you say makes sense will pull it apart this weekend and check it out. much appreciated!

actually - so is this something I need to fix? I read a little about the breather mod. Seems simple enough but curious if I leave it alone like this will sh*t get F'd up?

it's fine without, but it tends to run better when you have it done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast