Thread: Stator and Voltage Reg test (How)

I charged my batt and started it and the meter read 12.5. Then I took it for a ride (15 min) came back and tested it (on the terminals) it read 11.75????

Batt is good. How can I test the stator and volt reg??

Thx

The first step is to Recharge the battery,Slowly enough that it will recover. This also depends on if it's not over 2 years old. A load test on battery at auto/parts store is needed so you know the condition. Start the bike,& with a Digital multi meter Put the leads on the battery.At idle the volts should be 12.5 or 12.6-As the rpms slowly go up, the voltage should also till about 3000RPMs and be at 14.5-OR 6 volts Max.To check the Stator unplug the regulator then unplug the Stator. Meters ground should be a clean metal one.The pos.+/lead on meter put in Stator plug. Set to OHMs should read Zero, or no continuity. do both sockets on stator & should be the same.NOW to Check (Resistance), put both Meter Leads one each in Stator plug,The reading for resistance should read 0.1 to 0.3 ohms. A higher reading needs the Stator OR the Rotor replaced. Also once you turn on the Meter Touch both Meter Leads together and make sure it reads Zero before Starting your work.IF the Stator Checks Good check the Regulators plug for melted or burnt areas.MAKE sure to check ALL grounds and terminals for good connections.IF ALL Checks GOOD, you may have a Static/ Drain on the electrical.But do these tests 1st.,hope it's just a regulator, and post up when can.`Jimi

Don,If you get all that done this is also a good way to test a Stator.With a Fully Charged Battery,Make Sure the REGULATOR is un pluged.I always in my shop put the Pit stand under the Swingarm for Safety and no accidents. Turn on the Meter to AC-volts,about 120 is fine, start the bike. Now insert the Meter leads in the Stator two wire socket. While having the two leads in the socket gently run the Engine AT 2000RPMs. Your voltage output has to be 40 TO 55-56 Volts.OR 20 to 28 volts Per,1000 RPMs.Say you run the Engine at 1000rpms then your voltage needs to be close to 20-24 Volts and will climb as Rpms go up. Sometimes it's easier to test if you have someone to Twist the Throttle so you can pay attention to your work.~Jimi

Get 3 wires from the alternator at 2000 rpm where the voltage with a voltmeter ACV must score 32-40 volts connected to the No 1-3, 1-2 and 2-3, all equal the same voltage.
    We list the test on my bike;
    As soon as I turn the bike to a minimum are higher, but how to accelerate steadily decrease in

Connector No.1-3 1000 rpm 8v - 12v 2000 - 3000 18v
    Connector No.1-2 1000 rpm 4v - 6v 2000 - 3000 8v
    Connector n.2-3 at 1000 rpm 4v - 6v 2000 - 3000 8v.

The data also do not disagree and never raggiungomo 32 volt, ammen that, everything accelerates.

photos to the stator, according to you is burning?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2v8judx&s=7
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30ji42v&s=7
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=o10ne9&s=7
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2v3r51h&s=7

What do you think?

I've had an intermittent problem with my Buell - the check engine light comes on now and again and I get an error code 16. Sometimes the light comes on for a second or two and then goes out. Other times it stays on for 30 seconds or more and the engine starts running rough. I started doing the checks as Jimi suggested. The battery shows 14.3 volts at idle. It doesn't go up when I rev it and sometimes it dips. I didn't get the chance to do the other checks. Does the engine have to be running to do them? Any other ideas?