Thread: wont turn over

xb12 just chatters, starter not engaging, used battery charger to jump it at 13 volts, tries to turn over once but doesn't succeed then chatters?? Battery tested good. only 1k miles didnt do the 1k maintenance since this separation, warranty? what warranty?

Bad earth possibly????

:p Well I'm stuck in this lot of the earth so...

From your info,1st,What year is your bike? Miles on it?Was IT running fine and just suddenly ? OR has the bike sat for a while? Have you removed the Battery and Load Tested it at the auto parts store? Not just charged it! How old is the Battery? If you have to hook the battery to a charger to get it to turn over don't do that very long. It's possible you could burn up the Regulator or more. What setting is the Charger on when you try to jump the bike? AFTER the (load test), and the battery, the wiring & grounds check out,Most likely it will be the starter. But check the start button OR the starter Relay.If these also check out good,IT may be the Starter itself. Check the [SMALL] Things First. Make sure when you pull the relay to mark it.Some of the Buells have the same Relays so if you switch them AROUND keep track, unless you want a Headache. It's only about 6-9 bucks anyways. Make sure the bike is in Neutral With the Clutch Lever Pulled in.And Battery fully charged.If you keep putting the Charger on the Battery (FIRE Extingusher) to try and Start the Bike, BE CAREFUL!more than likely the silnoid is weak, if it sticks from to much juice the wiring will melt. I don't advise that! Does the Bike Lurch a little forward when starting? Do these couple of Tests First! Post back after you get done.`Jimi

Lightning xb12scg 09

Air filter good
    drained gas today
    battery autozone claimed good
    oil level fine
    changed plugs
    1300 miles
    sat for 5 months started a few times was in storage and i was on opposite side of the states...
    turns over but battery dies, using charger to jump
    was running great no problems then just decided to do this, battery is 2 yrs old now.

No bike doesnt move fwd, tried every combo when starting, sidestand down, up, neutral ith clutch in and not, same result. I no nothing about soleniods or swapping one out. Today the starter engaged many times, seems like everything is doing its job just wont fire at all...

Oil and trans oil going to change next, was waiting to drain while hot....but ..

Ok try this,Before you drain the Primary cause if you have to do the Starter you have to pull the Primary to get to the TWO bolts inside the Primary Case & seals etc. If I got a Dollar for all the Aftermarket Batterys I have pulled out here in the shop. Anyway, If it's 2 years old Especially if it's not been on a Battery Tender when not in use for a time. You would also(Peace of Mind)dependablity wise a good battery is necessary.If they checked it right, Take a Wooden hammer handle and put it against the Right side of the starter Silnoid and Tap not to hard and try to start the bike. Have you got any of the Two Year warranty on the Bike left? IS the Engine turning over at all? OR the Starter seems to just hit the flywheel and stop or Chatter. CHATTER is Low Voltage [Battery] and OR a weak silnoid spring or Positive wire going to the starter. Putting the Battery Charger on it won't help in this case. Check the Manuals at TOP of the page. This way theres break downs of certain areas. The basics are the same on some areas.If Motorcycle work is to be performed you will need to invest in the Service Manual so as to help you with some of the problems due to your bike is newer. You can change out the Starter Relay. Mark it so you can switch to another to see if it will help. This Last Trick will require you to remove the Plugs. If you can remove the Plugs, Then turn it over couple times.If the Starter Chatters with the Plugs out Either the Starter is gone Or the Start button and OR Relay is bad.If you Keep trying to Start the Bike with the Charger you will Damage the Wiring this will make the outer coating[insulation cover] to soften. The Amps are to high depends on the setting, and will cause other problems Like you finally get it fixed BUT 2000miles later it grounds out where the wires got hot & soft,then the deformed insulation worked to bare wire worked through to metal along with heat & vibration and Fries something else. I just Replaced the Harness on A CBR 600 cause the Guy was Jumping the Bike all the Time. He Fried the Starter/Partical Harness/voltage rectifer. Cost him Nearly 1,748.dollars They don't sell Partical Harnesses. Bike runs Great now AND it started over the Battery, which was really more than likely just 186.dollar voltage rectifer.That killed it in the first place. Cbrs are bad about that.If your just not sure about your bike may want to take it to a dealer and get it [diagnosed]. Before the Wiring gets damaged.Good Luck in your decision.`Jimi

It ended up starting with a new battery. Drained the gas and changed plugs not the issues either. Picked up a tender also. Skipped the 1k maintenance and changed the oil and trany oil. Warranty is good until July so only couple months left. But I figured harley would of charged me for a battery anyway.

Thanks for your help!