Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding with ear plugs?

What are your guy's thoughts on riding with ear plugs, I just put a Jardine slip-on on my CityX and it is loud as crap. I like the sound so right now I am between buying a set of ear plugs or a baffle. Do you think it is unsafe to wear earplugs as it may be harder to hear traffic? If you guys do ride with ear plugs what kind are they? I thought about getting these - http://www.radians.com/main/p-282-ra...-earplugs.aspx

Curious to hear some of your thoughts.

the general consensus around here is that ear plugs are a must. I wear them sometimes and have no problem hearing traffic. You still hear the same amount of things, it's just at a lower level. How much traffic you think you have hear over that exhaust anyway?

Right now I just use some of those foam cylinder ear plugs. They work but are a serious hassle. They take so long to expand that I usually debate whether I want to wear them because I've gotta stand on the sidewalk with my fingers in my ears for so long waiting for them to expand and then once they're in half the time they get pulled out when I slide my helmet on. I plan on picking up a pair of molded ones like you posted. That price seems pretty decent. I saw a pair in superstreet bike that were recommended but they were $100 so I've been a little scared to check on other prices. I'll probably buy 2 pairs for that price though, one for normal use and the other to mold in a pair of ear phones(like the picture shows with the string he used). That way I can use the GPS on my phone if I'm taking a road trip or anything like that.

The only downside I've found to using them, aside from the hassle of putting in the foam ones, is that they're awful for around town. When you're on the bike and it's running over 3k rpm most of the time they work great. If you're in stop and go traffic, like I usually am since I live in the city, it gives me more of a headache to wear them than to not. You don't hear engine noises as much, but you hear anything your body is doing. You can hear your helmet on your head, you can hear when your foot hits the ground or you move around on the bike, and the shaking you do when the bike is under 2k rpm is definitely worse. I'm not sure how to describe it. It just sounds like internal noises are getting trapped in your head. I get the same noises when I wear the ear muff things when I'm doing shop work. Either way, definitely get a pair, and I think you'll be much happier with the molded ones as opposed to foam... and thanks for the link! You saved me the hassle of having to find a pair myself.

Earplugs.

Cabela's has them on sale half price right now, by the way... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Custo...ugs/741591.uts

I never ride with out them. Walgreens/CVS carries hearoes plugs cheep. Wind noise alone will cause hearing damage, add in a loud exhaust and it will destroy your hearing. I feel I can actually hear more with them in, at least the stuff that matters.

I opt for ear buds. My Bell Star has the head phones that mount inside the lining but for the helmets I wear that don't I wear ear buds to listen to music. Guess I opt for additional hearing loss

IMHO I think ear plugs are worse than no ear plugs. It is like evey motor vibration comes right up through my spine and hammers my eardrums. I wish it wasn't this way. Maybe I need different plugs.

I usually only where earplugs when I have a passenger that can't quit talking,same reason I like loud exhaust ;)

Thanks for the input guys, I ordered a pair and can't wait to try them out. Hopefully the sound won't resonate in my head too bad. I will be disturbing some folks with my new exhaust I'm sure :D.

I do. My buddy Bob just turns his hearing aids off Either is effective

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast