Thread: swapping my engine, any tips?

hello everyone!
    i posted a thread a little while back about my XB12R, the crank shaft splines failed... :(

the bike is a 2005, but i'm getting an 07 engine to swap out. now, to the best of my knowledge everything should swap over fine, but i'm not TOTALLY positive. i'm looking for a little affirmation in this category.. lol

this is also the first time i'm pulling my engine out of my bike, so i'm not sure what kind of headache i'm getting myself into here...

I NEED ADVICE!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

p.s. Thank you guys so much.

should swap but i don;t know for sure

what are you doing with the old motor? i may be interested in rebuilding it for a project...

i was thinking of doing the same.
    its a 12R engine with 4100 miles on it.

I assume you have a service manual (book)(both years if there is any differences (cant think any off hand now)) and I would suggest taking pictures of it as you go (and maybe even some video too) just in case to help when putting it all back to together (I would do that no matter what level of mechanical know how you or any one has ) you never know when need to jog the memory or when a pic is not in the manual or how or where a wire or hose is routed , and get lots of ziplock bags and sharpies and bag and label eveything. but i bet you was going to do all that anyways.

before you take apart anything I would get the new engine and any of the new wiring or hoses and make sure you have everything before hand , make sure everything mates and matches up and wiring and hoses are the same length, take pics and video off the new stuff too. read through the parts of the manual a few times before hand, and ask any questions before you start and during the build to help youself. try a test fit if need be first . but if you're mechanically inclined , you shouldn't have any problems following the service manuals to remove it and reinstall the new one , it's pretty straight forward process.

and I say all that to help you and anyone else that reads this post so that it may help all because I dont know you or anyone elses' experience or level of mechanical ability!

thanks Native!

i am a seasoned automatic transmission mechanic. so i'm somewhat mechanically inclined. i also have the 05 service and parts manuals. but not the 07, so i'll be ordering one of those. :)

Ya it will go right in your just going to need the 07 map on your ECM. Pretty easy to do just don't go with a 08 motor it's a pain in the ass.

Put it in right.

If you're looking to sell off parts of the old motor let me know.

I need a rear head and rockerbox.

hahahaha,

THANKS LOKI!