Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stalling / surging & stripped bolts. Need advice.

I have an 05 Lightning XB12Scg with about 24k miles on it. It has run fine until recently . I've been faithful with the service intervals, etc. but about 2 days ago, I was sitting at a stop light and it started idling hard. As I pulled away from the light it started stalling / surging at low RPMs. I had to get the RPMs up to about 4k before it would even out. About time for the next service anyway, so I figured I would take the opportunity to replace the plugs, wires (not yet, on order), air filter, change the oil & oil filter, and change the oil in the primary. As I was preparing, I was searching on here and came across the breather re-route mod, and decided to give that a shot as well. (until then, no mods had been done). Long story short, none of this has fixed the problem, and in the process I have created a new problem. As I was putting the clutch inspection plate back on the primary and torquing the bolts down to the specified torque, the top bolt stripped. Not good. The bottom 2 bolts are fine.

So now, I have two questions. 1 - can I just re-tap the top part of the primary for a large bolt, or is that a bad idea? Am I going to have to buy a new primary cover, or can I make this work?

2 - Any ideas on why my bike started acting up, or what I can try next?

To clarify, I removed the top bolt, and it looks fine, so I'm assuming it is the primary that is stripped.

I'd try re tapping it and seeing if that works or take the cover off and drill it out and go one size bigger cheaper then a new cover.

Thanks for the reply.

I called a local custom shop to see if they would do it for me, and the guy blew me off two days in a row. I had never done anything like this before, so I was a little nervous but I decided to give it a shot. I bought the Helicoil thread repair kit, and it was actually easier than I thought it would be. Im a little torque shy now, and will definitely stay at the bottom end of the specified torque range from here on out.

One problem down, but still having a hell of a time figuring out why it is stuttering so badly. Still waiting on the new plug wires, and hopefully that will solve it. I also ordered the ECMspy cable and will to a TPS reset when I get it. Not enough Buell riders in Hawaii to find someone to help me out with that, so I guess I'll be learning on that as I go as well. Wish me luck.

d.

I changed the wires on my 05 and one was almost rubbed through the insulation. Pull the wires out and look at em. That will tell ya. Sounds like it dropped a cylinder when it started idling rough.

the scg seat will also rub the main harness going to the ecm and can cause many different problems.you should also check this.

I've pulled the plugs and looked at them, and didn't see any visible wear. I'll try to take a look at the harness. Hopefully it's not that, as that doesn't look easy to replace. What did you mean when you said it may have "dropped a cylinder"? That doesn't sound good at all.

Another thing that might help someone more knowledgable than me diagnose the problem, is that fuel efficiency has gone way down since this problem started. I used to get about 100 miles between fillups (I always reset the trip odometer) but now I'm getting about 40 miles between fillups. The exhaust smells different now too, sweeter . . . . if that makes sense.

I have the exact same bike (with 32k) and I've recently developed the same problems. My local dealer, whom I bought the bike from years ago, is the epitome of unhelpfulness. So it's just me fumbling through my book and aptly watching Dave's YouTube vids.

C'mon guys, help Mr. Hawaii and a girl out...

My next steps are the plug wires and TPS reset. Just waiting on ECMspy cable and plug wires to arrive. I'll let you know if either make a difference for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast