Thread: Fork oil change

Ok flame me after I post :p got 24k on "Shelly" and haven't changed her fork oil. I want to do some track days and know it should be done before I go. Got the service manual but ... not sure what I should change as far as seals and bushings and o-rings all of em a select few or more specific ones. Plan on getting with Al at ASB to get the parts just wanna know what I should get. ok flame on :D

Are yours leaking? Unless you want to do it for preventative maintenance I don't think there's any reason to replace all the seals. I've never changed oil on a pair of USD forks like these before, but on normal forks I always just dumped the oil and refilled.

I need to do this too though. Think I'm about due.

not leaking but defintaltely the oil needs changed

Every 14,500 miles for max,handling and bumping around I might add. Just make sure to reset the settings for your weight & riding style.

the fork selas are like 5 bukks. might as well change 'em before they start to leak. as a reference; mine lasted 4 years until the right one started leaking.

it'd be ****ty to nick one of the seals durring disassembly and not realize it until after the bike is all back together. ....

same story with the o-rings. but the copper crush washer in the bottom of the lower fork tube is a one-and-done item. again, only a few bukks.

all totaled, the fork service can be done for less than a hundo and in just an few hours.

i made my own fork spring compressor, and holder-downer-plate, and got off for just the cost of oil and seals.