Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breather Mod Concern

Hello,

So i completed a breather mod on my '07 City-X about 2 months ago, and have noticed that not much liquid ever poors out after a long ride.
    I did notice that the bolt doesn't fit very tight in the end of the hose, so i know some of it is just dripping out as i go.

But... i checked the little air filter up the line and the bottom portion is yellow while the rest (top) is still white. Obviously some of the fluid is spilling in...

Should i be worried... redo the line?

Thanks guys

This is probably oil/crap mist that's being collected on the filter. Since you don't have a mist separator, the air leaving the filter still has some of the oil in it and gets filtered there.

Just my opinion though - others may disagree.

Check to make sure the line to (and after) your breather filter has enough slope to allow the fluid to drain all the way through.

Evan -

You have found the main reason doing this modification is a waste of time and money...!

I have both an XB12R and an XB12S.

When I bought the R, it was all stock and left it that way. Just remapped the ECM so it runs correctly and put a little over 10,000 miles on it with NO..read that ZERO oil flooding the airbox..!

When I bought the S, the previous owner did a really stupid "reroute" of the breather lines....so, I took it all apart and cleaned it up, used larger breather lines, and seperated the the front and rear.

I just ran the lines down to the front of the muffler and secured them...with no silly catch tank.
    Guess what...NO, stains on the muffler or body work, nothing on the floor after high speed freeway runs, or bouncing the tach. needle off the revlimiter every now and again.

So....as I've said, over and over....waste of time and money.

There's only two time's the reroute is sorta usefull...1. is when the engine has worn rings and or bad valve stem seals that leak and the engine has bad "blowby"..
    2. When the bike is driven for short distantes only and not allowd to fully heat up to clear out all of the moisture built up from several short rides to a buddies, or the local cruise night.
    So...if you actually take your bike out and drive'em and also take care of them, this reroute buisness is well....somewhat usless.

If more people actually, fully understood the way the crankcase system is supposed to work, they'd understand.

Mike

So....as I've said, over and over....waste of time and money.

There's only two time's the reroute is sorta usefull...1. is when the engine has worn rings and or bad valve stem seals that leak and the engine has bad "blowby"..
    2. When the bike is driven for short distantes only and not allowd to fully heat up to clear out all of the moisture built up from several short rides to a buddies, or the local cruise night.
    So...if you actually take your bike out and drive'em and also take care of them, this reroute buisness is well....somewhat usles

I fully agree with Mike. And since I ride short distances during the week (~2 miles to work from my house :p) I put in a mist separator and still have the small vacuum pull from the airbox as well.

BTW - if you do have excessive blow-by (and therefor more than likely shot rings) this is only a bandaid. Get the bike fixed. You wouldn't want your significant other to have blow-by either would you? :p

You have found the main reason doing this modification is a waste of time and money...!
    Bravo.

I figured I would get on the and put my two cents worth.

Doing the breather mod will help a keep and slight oil residue out of your airbox, however it is not a "miracle mod".

Putting the breather filter at the front of the bike only creates a positive pressure in the crankcase and will actually inhibit the proper evacuation of any oil/water vapor thus being more counter productive then the original system when running at speed. I place the filter at the rear of the bike in an effort to create a slight vacuum (like the factory setup is designed to do hence it being in the airbox).

Just remapped the ECM so it runs correctly and put a little over 10,000 miles on it with NO..read that ZERO oil flooding the airbox..!
    Remapped being the keyword. If everyone had remapped bikes, then yes, the reroute mod would be useless.

When I bought the S, the previous owner did a really stupid "reroute" of the breather lines....so, I took it all apart and cleaned it up, used larger breather lines, and seperated the the front and rear.
    Just because the previous owner was "stupid" doesn't make the mod useless - just important that it's done right.

Thanks for your opinions all... I do mainly ride my bike for short distances. With the long 1 hour plus ride only ever once in a great while.

I guess i'll just keep an eye on the filter and give it a good rinse next time i'm at the 'do-it-yourself' car wash :]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast