Thread: Considering an XB12S

I just wanted yall's thoughts on my situation.

I am looking into starting to ride with some people from work. They all ride Crotch Rockets and use them to carve corners up in the hills.

I am a newb when it comes to riding. I just have a few hours (150 or so miles) of seat time on an 800 Ducati from last friday. Other than that im pretty inexperiecned except for an 80cc 2 stroke I rode around the yard when I was younger.

I want something rare (triumph, duc, buell) and dont want a 4 banger so i came up with the XB12S (cg if i can find one) because one of my buddies has a craving for a Duc and we try not to match each other in my lil group.

Im not scared of litre bikes as long as its a twin and felt very comfortable on the 800 and actually wanted a little more out of it in some of the straights where I got to really see what it had. (Since i was barely doing the speed limit through the twisties i didnt really find myself wathing power there).

So help me out here. Is the XB a good one for me? What do i need to watch for on different year models of the XB? Where do i find one? (the used market is terrible on them and i dont feel like they are worth what alot of people are asking for.) Will i be able to keep up with my buddies once i actually learn to handle a bike or do i need a sport bike to even have a chance?

Thank in advance.

-me

Also I forgot to ask. Is there a 6 speed conversion or anyway to get a 6 speed into this bike. I've looked and i thought i have found one (can't remember the brand and might have just been for harleys, i think iw was a baker conversion), but im not sure.

-me

ok...

the xb12 is a torque bike that will give you a big :D on your face from start to finish and after. a bike with character that will make heads turn and that will draw the attention even when parked between 100 sportbikes.

you can not compare it to any other sportbike since it's not made for that. it's a very agile, high torque bike made for the street, that is fun to ride and takes corners like no other.

if you can keep up with your friends on 'croth rockets'?
    although that would depend on the rider, you should gain on them in corners, but on the straights...they will be off.
    but even then, you'll still have a big :D from ear to ear.

for the moment there's no 6speed for the xb models, baker has 6speeds for the tube models, but they do no fit the xb.

what i would suggest is:
    1. never follow someone anywhere, ride to your own limit and don't push further because someone else is faster...it will save you alot of money and pain ;)
    2. do a testride on the buell, you'll know pretty fast if it's the bike for you.

if you want a buell but need a sportbike, maybe the 1125r is an option

I dont really want to spend over $6000ish. I mean it is a first bike. and im not a fan of the 1125R looks. Im a naked bike kinda person.

There is a speed tipple for sale in town that i may just keep a watch on. Its a 2006 with 2000 miles on it for $7k. I just dont know if ill be able to find a buell to compete with that.

-me

Just so you know my friend has a 1998 Triumph Daytona 955i and we are dead even until 135mph then he takes off. It doesn't matter if you have 140hp if you don't have torque you won't move the bike that fast. So the Buell will keep up with the Triumph. If you like the naked look why aren't you going for a X1 or M2? The tuber's are the more naked bike than the XB. The new fuel in frame hides the motor more and make it harder to work on as well. Good luck with your search I am sure you will find what you want.

The Triple is just that...a Triple, the Buell a Twin. Ride both to see what you like, you'll probably like different things about both ;)

About purchasing: check the board here and on other forums aswell, nothing better than buying a Buell from a Bueller Also, if you have decent credit you can usually find deals on the previous years models still at the dealership.

Buying new isnt a problem if its your first bike, people always say "its my first bike, I dont want something too nice" Well, I would learn on something thats in good working order rather than risk riding something that you dont know the history of. Broken pieces on a bike can be fixed alot easier than broken pieces on your body :)

Get the Buell, all of my friends have I4's and it doesn't matter where we ride, its my bike that is the center of attention. Regarding you questions about performance, my stock Xb12ss will hang with the my buddies I4's until about 85mph, after that there top end kicks in and they are gone. However in the mountain roads I have found that I am able to take corners faster and with more confidence than my buddies, who admit to being on the ragged edge while trying to keep with me. As far as purchasing a bike I agree with mrdozer2you regarding buying new. I got mine a month ago as a 2006 left over for 9,600 OTD. If you are planing to keep the bike for a while its better to get what you really want. Besides you mentioned that you where a frailly new rider , so the 1000 mile break in period for a new bike might force you to get acquainted with the bike without going over bored, if self control is an issue for you that is. :D

Go the Buell, all of the above + the ongoing running costs are a lot cheaper,06 xb12 & later drive belts have lifetime warranty[no chain & sprockets to replace$$$], check with your local duc & triumph dealer what the major service costs[about $800.00 to $1000.00 here in Australia], there is no major severice for the Buells so to speak of[ about $250.00 to $350.00 here]. I've had 2 [05XB12S & currently a 07XB12STT] & find them to be a very easy & forgiving bike to ride .Cheers :):)