Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longest Ride?

I’m planning a trip to Chicago according to Google maps its 385 miles and going to take about 7 hours. Longest ride I have been on is about 2 hours and I got a little sore from it of course I’m riding a 2009 firebolt so those things are to be expected. Anyone else done some long cross country rides?

I've done 400 miles in a day. It was no fun. 250 is now my limit.

we just did a 932 mile trip (about 1500kms) over 5 days averaging about 186 or so miles per day. took our time, loads of stops and coffee breaks (every 2 hours or so when i filled up).

difference is also we were on a Uly, plus i had slip on sheep skin cover made for the seat. looks kinda awkward, but helps the bum quite a lot!

good luck with trip and enjoy!

I did 1200mi in 3 days on a GSXR, an old one at that. It was TONS of fun but my knee was KILLING me by the time I got home. I'd do it again in a heatbeat though The Bolt feels like a Cadallac by comparison. I plan on doing a 1000-2000mi ride this summer as well (still working on the destination); probably over the course of 3-4 days.

The trick to distance riding on these kinds of bikes is to take a walk, stretch or just hang out every time you get gas. With the Buells small tank, err frame, that'll be every 100-150mi anyway. Take your time and enjoy the ride. Don't worry about how long it takes to get where you're going.

Bought my first Buell in Columbus Ohio. Left Columbus Airport about 10 pm, 17 hours with sleep, and 900.9 miles later, I was home in Chouteau Oklahoma...

Did about 1700 in a week. Minneapolis to Sturgis and back. Not too bad. At first were stopping 100-120 miles. Half way through day two, about every 60. I've been to miluaeaukee, Chicago, up north, ect. We always just take our time. Putt around and have fun. I mean that's what it's all about right. Sheep skin huh?? That's an idea. I usually bring a pillow to use after about 4-5 hrs and over the years I've came up with some pretty unique positions some I'm not hurting in the exact same spots. Goin to Sturgis again this year. You'll be fine. Pull off your pussy

I did 352 in one day last year on my 03 Bolt. No issues, not tired or sore at all. Took about 5.5 hours.

The first time I did it back in 04 it really sucked. My right hand got cramped really quick and I had thoughts of shipping the bike back for the trip home :D

The last time I did it I used a Vista Cruise and had an MP3 player on the whole time. I also have the comfort grips now and wouldn't have an issue doing it again.

I do have a stock seat but have thought about having Baldwin insert the gel where the foam is now. It's like $85 with return shipping.

My 09 Ss has a different riding position than your bolt but I can suggest a cramp buster for the throttle and a set of lowered pegs would make it easier on your knees. I visit family in PA every summer,(450 mi. each way), and if you do long stretches on the interstate a MP3 player is a must. Even better if it has an FM tuner!
    And +1 to what the Capt says.
    Take your time and enjoy the ride. Don't worry about how long it takes to get where you're going.
    Raz

Yea i'm trying to get a little pocket for my zune sewn into the chest plate of my riding armor for those long rides. My buddies and i will usually knock out 250-300 miles when we go for long rides.

I can suggest a cramp buster for the throttle
    Those things don't do much for hand fatigue since your hand still has to be on the bar. With a friction lock like the $25 Vista Cruise you can lock it and ride as long as you want without your right hand. That made my 350 mile one way trip a breeze.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast