Thread: Alpinestars S-MX Plus boots.... Review

Well got these as a birthday gift from my fiance and after three solid days of wearing them I think they are broken it...... well they have transformed into Squeekstars anyway.

I know some wanted a follow up on these so I figured I would post one up.

First I do have to say Big Thank to Dave on this as he brought these to my attention as he has to others.

For fit I wear a size 11 US, I didnt want any real wiggle room but I know I didnt want them to be tight since I will be walking in them so I ordered a size 45 EUR in the S-MX, which is actually a size 10.5 US and they fit perfect with thin or a little thicker sock. Cost was $289...

First couple days I had these I wore them around the house, to get the mail, walking the dog. Just some basic movement to try and get the feel for the boots. Even though they are a limiting boot you really only notice it if you are walking long distances (at least for me).

First day of riding in them I had them on for 6 straight hours with long socks, no blisters, nothing to complain about and I was in and out of my truck as some seen pics of worked on my bike, bending down, sitting on the ground, and just walking. I actually forgot I had them on for a while when I was working on my bike until I sat down in the garage on the floor and realized my ankles wouldn't bend like they do in shoes when I work on my bike. Over all I only road about 50mi that day but wore them much longer than expected So first day very happy.

Second day I road in all 350mi and wore the boots for close to 9 hrs, about 100mi one way to meet up with konarider94, then we headed out for a bit to eat, then a ride to Lake Michigan. Got down to the beach area and had to park the bikes about 1/2mi away due to construction, but I figured it would be a great tester on the boots. This is when I realized the boots suck for long ranges. It wasn't that my feet started hurting but rather just the cumbersome strides I had to take and for such a long time. Back to konarider94's place I took the boots off since there was something in both boots scratching my legs, there is a small velcro piece to hold the inner bootie strings away from the zippers and since my socks weren't quite long enough to pull up and out the top of the boot they sagged down a little which allowed the velcro to rub on my leg. Only problem I have found so far.

Third day of riding was shorter than the second with only about 100mi logged and closer to 2 hrs with the boots on. All short walks, had the velcro just tucked into the boot, and pulled my socks up as far as possible. All was great.

For air flow I noticed when I rode more stretched out with my mid-sole on the pegs versus the ball of my foot the air flow seemed to fade away, but when I had the ball of my foot up and thus the angle of the lower section of the boot was more "into the wind" I could feel the air flow from the toe through to the heel.

Two things I would improve on the boot would be first the ability for the calf to tighten more, the boots tighten a significant amount but since I don't wear a set of leathers and only Kevlar Denim Jeans the calf area is really close to being a perfect fit but with any smaller calf I would be screwed. Second would be a little more smoothed out top half of the boot that would rub on the calf area. I understand they are designed to be worn over pants but since i don't wear them as such I would like the inside of the boot to not rub my leg raw over long times if I had short socks on.

Over all I am very happy with them, I can't really give them a number rating since I have only ever worn one other pair of boots and they didn't fit. But like Dave I would recommend these to any rider

Extreme,I have the same model boots,the squeek will never go away,mine have done that since breakin.people donn't notice you have an odd shoe on till they hear the noise and look down.Gotta wear a thick sock or at least one that will stay up,they will rub against your leg at the top of the boot,granted I usually wear leathers with them but if you donn't at least tuck your jeans into them it gets old quick.Great review though and right on par with that boot.

good thing I have tons of boot socks

Ive been looking at these boots or a similar model for awhile now. Great write up! Now I know that if I order them online, I should go a bit smaller than the size shoes I wear for the 'snugness' factor.

The only problem with walking around in boots is the sole wears super quick I learned that with this last pair of sidi boots after a season the sole is super worn out I will bring another form of shoes wherever I go now so I'm not walking in them and wearing them out.

Kinds figured the sole would wear pretty fast but never had the experience first hand. I do figure I will be walking a far deal in these when I wear them but it is just something I will have to live with.

Can the sole be replaced on these boots?

On my sidi's the sole isn't supposed to be replaced, but I've seen some pictures of it done it doesn't look good but it can be done. The new sidi's have a replaceable sole those will be a purchase for me when I upgrade my boots. I don't know about the a stars.

We offer the following online discounts for Military Customers:

Arai Helmets: SAVE an additional 10% CODE: ARAI2010

Alpinestars Apparel: SAVE 15% CODE: ALPINE2010

Shoei Helmets: SAVE an additional 10% CODE: SHOEI2010

Speed and Strength Apparel: SAVE an additonal 10% CODE: SPEEDMIL

Teknic Apparel: Save an additional 10% CODE: TEKNICMIL

If you prefer to call your order in we can be reached at 1-888-784-4327 Toll Free

Please email any questions to orders@sportbiketrackgear.com as this email is not monitiored and is an autoresponse only.

if any of the coupon codes don't work try typing in 2011 in place of 2010 you can pull the trigger on those boots for about 250 shipped