Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stats on Buell Lightning XB12?

Administrator
    Lets get this started! What are the main stats that will impress my friends that ride foreign sport bikes?

Buell stats and specs eh? Where to start... All new buell xb motorcycles have fuel in the frame, and pipes that are mounted in center, lowest portion of the bike. This along with the short wheelbase makes Buells the best handling bikes on the market. PERIOD!

I would have to say that the raw power and torque of these mean ass bikes are the best aspects of the Buell XB12 motorcycles. If you know how to ride and use the power you can pull away from a Yamaha R1 with noooo problem.
    Buell XB12 hp: 103 HP @ 6800 RPM
    Torque: 84 ft. lbs. @ 6000 RPM

Make sure you're comparing the HP and torque of other bikes with the same RPM's. Most Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha bikes etc have to rev to really high RPM's to make power.

I AM 42 AND READY TO ROLL DOWN THE ROAD AGAIN! I AM LOOKING AT THE XB12 LONG LIGHTING. DOES ANYBODY RIDE ONE? BUELLSON WANTS TO KNOW.

It's my understanding that the Buell Long model is really nice. If your aren't taking your bike to the track and you just joy ride for fun the Long version would be the best. The handling is more predictable on the longs, but if you're good you can take turns faster on the regular framed Buells.

Administrator
    How tall are you denisemark064? If you are 6' or taller you will want the long for sure. If you are shorter the regular Buells are really nice. They sit low to the ground and have a shorter wheelbase. These features can be good confidence builders for smaller riders.

I am 54/5'11'' and just bought an XB12Ss. It fits great and is great fun to ride. I keep telling my married co-workers if you get one you will not come home as often as your wife may think that you should. I have not ridden in about 17 years, and I am surprised at how much stuff I've forgotten. I would suggest that you rent one for a weekend. I have two issues with the bike that I hope to fix. I don't race or drive aggressively, but I experience a lot of pinging under "playful" loads. I hope to get this resolved before the waranty ends. The other issue that I have is operating the throttle between 1000-2000 RPM which is where I round corners in ordinary traffic it is very difficult for me.
    The bike will warm your right leg to temperatures that may disturb or frighten you even with wrapped headers.
    There a lot of mechanical noise that comes through the air cleaner that keeps you wondering if your valves need adjustment.
    I would like to do some sport-touring, but the bike's 175-200 mile range is kinda short and luggage fitments scarce.
    On the other hand, commuting to work at 50+ mpg is great.

The bike will warm your right leg to temperatures that may disturb or frighten you even with wrapped headers.
    I guess that's something common on a naked twin. The buell bikes have the headers designed pretty much like the Harleys, but it seems like they tucked them out of the way pretty nicely. Your height might have something to do with it, because at 5'8", my legs do not come anywhere near the headers.

I've also noticed (like dcastle said) that with the XB12 stock cam and injection tune, there is no reason to ever try to run below 2000 RPM. It just doesn't work.

Overall Length (2) 76.2 in. 1935 mm
    Overall Width (3) 29.7 in. 755 mm
    Seat Height:
    Standard (4) 30.1 in. 765 mm
    Low Profile N/A N/A
    Ground Clearance (2) 4.35 in. 110 mm
    Rake (at Steering Head) (4) 21.0° 21.0°
    Fork Angle (4) 21.0° 21.0°
    Lean Angle:
    Soft Contact, Right (5) 42° 42°
    Soft Contact, Left (5) 42° 42°
    Hard Contact, Right (5) 50° 50°
    Hard Contact, Left (5) 48° 48°
    Trail (4) 3.3 in. 83 mm
    Wheelbase (2) 52.0 in. 1320 mm
    Tires:
    Type (6) Pirelli® Pirelli®
    Front (6) Diablo T (model) Diablo T (model)
    120/70 ZR-17 (specifications) 120/70 ZR-17 (specifications)
    Rear (6) Diablo T (model) Diablo T (model)
    180/55 ZR-17 (specifications) 180/55 ZR-17 (specifications)
    Fuel Capacity 3.82 gal. 14.5 L
    Reserve Fuel Capacity 0.75 gal. 2.8 L
    MPG (EPA urban/highway test) (7):
    Urban 48 MPG 4.9 L/100 km
    Highway 65 MPG 3.6 L/100 km
    Weight:
    Dry Weight 395 lbs. 179 kg
    Gross Rating 850 lbs. 386 kg
    Load Capacity 388 lbs. 176 kg
    Top of Page
    Engine U.S. Units Metric Units
    Engine Air/oil/fan-cooled, 4-stroke, 45° V-Twin Air/oil/fan-cooled, 4-stroke, 45° V-Twin
    Valve Train OHV, two valves per cylinder, self-adjusting OHV, two valves per cylinder, self-adjusting
    Bore x Stroke:
    Bore 3.500 in. 88.9 mm
    Stroke 3.812 in. 96.8 mm
    Displacement 73.4 cu. in. 1203 cc
    Compression Ratio 10.0:1 10.0:1
    Fuel Delivery 49 mm down draft DDFI II fuel injection 49 mm down draft DDFI II fuel injection
    Intake (Air Cleaner for Blast®) Zero-resistance airbox Zero-resistance airbox
    Exhaust Tuned, tri-pass resonance chamber with InterActive valve and mass-centralized mounting Tuned, tri-pass resonance chamber with InterActive valve and mass-centralized mounting
    Torque (North America per SAE J607) 84 ft. lbs. @ 6000 RPM 113 NM @ 6000 RPM
    Horsepower (North America per SAE J607) 103 HP @ 6800 RPM 103 HP @ 6800 RPM
    Lubrication Dry-sump Dry-sump
    Oil Capacity (Lubrication for Blast®) 2.5 qts. 2.4 L
    Oil Filtration Screw-on disposable element Screw-on disposable element
    Top of Page
    Drivetrain U.S. Units Metric Units
    Primary Drive Chain, 1.500:1 (57/38) ratio Chain, 1.500:1 (57/38) ratio
    Final Drive (8) Constant path, 14 mm pitch aramid-reinforced Hibrex® belt with Flexten® Plus technology, 2.407:1 (65/27) ratio Constant path, 14 mm pitch aramid-reinforced Hibrex® belt with Flexten® Plus technology, 2.407:1 (65/27) ratio
    Clutch Wet, multi-plate, compensated Wet, multi-plate, compensated
    Transmission 5-speed, helical gear 5-speed, helical gear
    Overall Ratio:
    1st 2.648 2.648
    2nd 1.892 1.892
    3rd 1.407 1.407
    4th 1.166 1.166
    5th 1.000 1.000
    Top of Page
    Chassis U.S. Units Metric Units
    Frame (6) Aluminum frame with Uniplanarâ„¢ powertrain vibration isolation system, fuel in frame Aluminum frame with Uniplanarâ„¢ powertrain vibration isolation system, fuel in frame
    Front Fork (6) 43 mm Showa® inverted forks with adjustable compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload 43 mm Showa® inverted forks with adjustable compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload
    Rear Shock Showa® coil-over monoshock with remote, under-seat reservoir and adjustable compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload Showa® coil-over monoshock with remote, under-seat reservoir and adjustable compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload
    Wheels:
    Color Cherry Bomb Translucent (new), Translucent Amber, Designer Black Cherry Bomb Translucent (new), Translucent Amber, Designer Black
    Front 6-spoke, ZTLâ„¢ cast aluminum (type) 6-spoke, ZTLâ„¢ cast aluminum (type)
    17 in. (diameter) 432 mm (diameter)
    3.5 in. (width) 89 mm (width)
    Rear 6-spoke, cast aluminum (type) 6-spoke, cast aluminum (type)
    17 in. (diameter) 432 mm (diameter)
    5.5 in. (width) 140 mm (width)
    Brakes:
    Front ZTLâ„¢-type brake, 6-piston, fixed caliper, 375 mm single-sided, inside-out, stainless steel, floating rotor ZTLâ„¢-type brake, 6-piston, fixed caliper, 375 mm single-sided, inside-out, stainless steel, floating rotor
    Rear Single piston, floating caliper; 240 mm stainless steel, fixed rotor Single piston, floating caliper; 240 mm stainless steel, fixed rotor
    Suspension Travel:
    Front 4.72 in. 120 mm
    Rear 5.00 in. 127 mm
    Top of Page
    Electric U.S. Units Metric Units
    Battery Sealed lead acid, maintenance-free, 12V, 12 amp/hour, 200 cca (per Battery Council International Rating) Sealed lead acid, maintenance-free, 12V, 12 amp/hour, 200 cca (per Battery Council International Rating)
    Charging 494W peak, 38-amp, permanent magnet, 3-phase alternator with solid-state regulator 494W peak, 38-amp, permanent magnet, 3-phase alternator with solid-state regulator
    Starting 1.2 kW electric with solenoid shift starter motor engagement 1.2 kW electric with solenoid shift starter motor engagement
    Lights: (as per country regulation)
    Headlamps Type Twin Quartz Halogen [H7] Twin Quartz Halogen [H7]
    Headlamps Description 55-watt low beam, 55-watt high beam 55-watt low beam, 55-watt high beam
    Tail/Stop Lights 5W/21W 5W/21W
    Turn Signal Lights 10W manual canceling 10W manual canceling
    License Plate Light 5W 5W
    Top of Page
    Styling/Convenience U.S. Units Metric Units
    Instruments Electronic speedometer, tachometer, odometer; dual resettable tripmeter; high beam, neutral, oil, low fuel (plus, odometer show miles traveled on reserve), turn signal and engine diagnostic indicator lamps; clock Electronic speedometer, tachometer, odometer; dual resettable tripmeter; high beam, neutral, oil, low fuel (plus, odometer show miles traveled on reserve), turn signal and engine diagnostic indicator lamps; clock
    Top of Page
    Colors U.S. Units Metric Units
    Available Colors (9) Valencia Orange Translucid w/Translucent Amber wheels
    Cherry Bomb Translucid w/Translucent Red wheels
    Midnight Black w/Designer Black wheels Valencia Orange Translucid w/Translucent Amber wheels
    Cherry Bomb Translucid w/Translucent Red wheels
    Midnight Black w/Designer Black wheels
    Top of Page
    Warranty U.S. Units Metric Units
    Warranty 24 months (unlimited mileage) 24 months (unlimited mileage)

2 Unladen, wet configuration (no rider, all fluids).
    3 Without mirrors.
    4 Laden, wet configuration (design rider, all fluids).
    5 Bottomed-out configuration (100% suspension compression).
    6 Kevlar®, Showa®, Dunlop® and Pirelli® are registered trademarks of their respective owners.
    7 Based on tests conducted under lab conditions per U.S. E.P.A. test procedures. Mileage will vary depending on personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length and vehicle condition.
    8 Hibrex® and Flexten® are registered trademarks of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.
    9 Availability may vary from dealer to dealer, and is subject to change without notice.

Now there is some stats for ya.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast