Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting the underside of translucent plastics

I have the cherry bomb red plastics on my xb9sx. I'm wondering what they would look like if I spray painted the undersides black?

I'm thinking it would end up looking like a red mirror, As mirrors have a black backing with a chrome finish.

But does anyone have any idea what the outcome is?

Get some black electrical tape or masking tape and line the underside of your airbox. It should give you an idea. I doubt it'll be a mirror finish because I don't think the red plastic is reflective enough but it could look cool. I assume it would just look like it does with the intact airbox since that's black.

If you want something flashy I'd get some chrome spray paint and paint your inner airbox, or even just use that on the inside of the airbox cover.

If you want something flashy I'd get some chrome spray paint and paint your inner airbox, or even just use that on the inside of the airbox cover.
    Agreed...please for the sake of Buells do not spray paint the translucent airbox cover...I think spray painting the inner airbox will give you the same effect

Get some black electrical tape or masking tape and line the underside of your airbox.
    Good idea, I'll try this first, thanks.

You could try something temporary like black shoe polish on the inside. You could easily take it off after you see how it looks. Don't shine it up, just smear it on the inside. It's supposed to be dull on the inside. The shine comes from the outside plastic. I'll bet the red plastics with black inside would look really good.

i spray painted my inner airbox cover silver. makes the translucid plastics brighter, in my opinion

i spray painted my inner airbox cover silver. makes the translucid plastics brighter, in my opinion
    I did the same but I don't have any pictures on here. I have an open airbox and I painted everything the same silver as the frame(2003 so it's silver) and it really makes the transparent red look a lot better.

Use black Plasti- Dip Spray, made by Performix. You can find it at Lowes, or Home Depot. It peels right off. I Painted my box and windscreen.

can we get some close ups Palo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast