Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help to bike running at peak and other questions, issues

So, to summarize: I bought a used 03 xb9r with ~13k+ miles on it.
    Condition when I bought it: bike was in good shape cosmetically, has run well since I got it and came with a Jardine. But I have no idea what has been done to the bike.
    Condition now: Currently has 15,200+ miles on it. Oil changed to Amsoil and Mobil1 filter. Jardine has been replaced with stock pipe. Tuned suspension per the service manual to my weight, etc. It currently gets 38-45 mpg on average.
    Known Problems:
    1. When engaging the brake lever, sometimes it will stick and then all of a sudden engage. I've heard some say I need to disassemble and lube.
    2. Sometimes when I come to a quick stop, then apply the throttle, I get a brief cutout or misfire.
    3. So 2 weeks ago we had a torrential downpour and when riding home, one of the cylinders (the back one i think) was cutting out at low rpm. It almost made me wreck as i was taking a turn and gave it throttle and the 2nd cylinder all of a sudden kicked in a around 2.5k rpms. It hasn't happened since and makes me think a plug/wire/etc was getting grounded somehow from the water.
    4. Also, (may or may not be an issue) if i hold the throttle constant at around 4-4.5k rpms, the bike seems to subtly buck a little.
    5. Clutch seems "crunchy" at times. Should I change the primary oil to remedy this or is this just the nature of the buell tranny?

So, what should I do to get the bike running peak and solve these issues?
    Would changing plugs and wires help, you think? What else should I do?

bump

changing plugs and wires sounds like it would help you a lot.

is the brake lever aftermarket or stock.

clutch should not be crunchy. lubing the cable might help. you should change the primary and engine oil anyway for piece of mind.

changing plugs and wires sounds like it would help you a lot.
    ok
    is the brake lever aftermarket or stock.
    stock
    clutch should not be crunchy.Â* lubing the cable might help.Â* you should change the primary and engine oil anyway for piece of mind.
    sorry, i meant shifter. like when i shift and it engages a different gear, the engagement feels crunchy

the shifting does kind of suck on these bikes so its hard to say if what you are feeling is normal or not. i dont think mine is that bad except 1st to 2nd. its not as easy to shift as many other bikes ive ridden thats for sure.

take the front brake lever off and see if you can figure out why its sticking. are you sure its the lever. maybe the caliper is frozen and the pistons dont move until there is a certain amount of pressure built up. good luck, the front brake issue should be addressed though. its kind of important

My bike seems to hesitate on low RPMs especially when cold. It's a symptom of running rich. Remapping the ECM and/or changing the O2 sensor will likely help as well as changing the spark plugs and wires.

My clutch cable snapped recently and I had to replace it. I realized when I got the new one installed how poorly it was adjusted. It seems like they're susceptible to break around 15k miles. Also running low on primary fluid will cause a crunchy shift. They do normally shift clunky though.

What's the word 28003?

haven't had a chance to really do anything yet except take off the brake level, clean it and hit it with some wd-40, and it seems to not be sticking anymore.
    current status:
    -idles low, sometimes acts like it doesn't want to start (but always does after a few tries), 38mpg regularly

i will change the primary oil this weekend. i am currently running mostly 94 octane, ethanol-free, sonoco gas (with a few times i had to use shell)

my plan over the next few weeks is to replace all the crap on the bike that's questionable, especially spark plugs and wires, and air filter. then, if that improves things, i will get an ECM cable and check out the mapping

Wow, 38 MPG seems really low! I get 45 MPG pretty easily. Does the exhaust smell like gas? When you're working on it, try at least cleaning the o2 sensor, see if that helps your idle/startup/fuel mileage.

Also reset the throttle position sensor. That seems to help some of the fuel related issues (bucking/hesitating).

where is the O2 sensor?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast