Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliper wont fit back on Rotor? What did I do wrong?

I decided to change the brake pads while I wait for my new belt to come in. Only problem is that I can't figure out how to get the caliper to fit back over the rotor with the new thicker pads installed. Can anyone tell by looking at these pics if I've done something wrong? I followed the instructions in the service manual, and pushed the piston all the way back into the bore, etc, but so far I can't figure out how to get it back on the rotor.

The new pads are EBC FA140, which is what is also marked on the back of the old rotors.

And a closer view

from what I can see it looks like they should fit just fine.

Not to question your intelligence but in the picture the left pad is slanted inwards, you spread them both apart, correct?

Looks like you just need to press the caliper piston back in. Slide a large flat blade screwdriver between the new pads and gently twist or pry the pad (w/o damaging the pads) to push the piston in flush.

Thanks for the replies. I pressed the piston as far in as I could before I put the pads back on there. The left one is slanted in a little in the pic, but when I was trying to put it on I was holding it as far apart as I could. It's the one on the right that is blocking the caliper from going on the rotor. Underneath the left pad, there is a bolt or something keeping me from sliding the rotor anymore to the right, but it's not fare enough to the right for the right pad to clear the rotor. Does that make sense?

the bracket is hitting the rotor.that bracket is on a slide push it back so the pads and rotor alighn.

I would bet you did not clean the slider pins for the caliper, did you, tell the truth, I did the same thing on my first pad change, I got the wheel back on but, within a couple of hundred miles one pad was completely toast, and the other was not even touching the rotor, use a couple of cans of brake parts cleaner and blow all the built up dust out of the holes for the pins in the caliper, it will be some real gunky black dust, and when you reassemble put a real LIGHT coat of High Temp anti-sieze on the pins, that should get you back in the game

Once again you have saved my ass Anrkizm! Thanks.

Looks like you need to get the caliper mounting sleeves broke loose and slide them back so the caliper will center back up over the rotor. I had to tap mine with a brass hammer to break them loose. Then slid them all the way out,cleaned, and never siezed before I reinstalled them. Hope that helps. Raz

Right on. Thanks to you guys, I just completed my first brake pad change. Scared the crap out of me when it wouldn't go back on the caliper, but I had no idea the bracket was moveable. Tomorrow I'm going to try to do the front pads. Wish me luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast