Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buell Bast Automatic Choke Help - wont start

Bike will not start unless I cuff my hand over the carb air intake (providing manual choke). Believe if I replace the auto-choke/enricher, problem will be solved? Could it be more extensive resulting from electrical issues?

Back story:
    I am doing work to a Buell Blast that has been sitting for over a year. When I first started working on the bike, nothing worked. I flushed the transmission and oil and added all new fluid. Fixed front and rear brakes with new master cylinder rebuild kits and new brake fluid. Removed the gas tank and cleaned out the tank and peacock.

Now about the carburetor.
    I removed the air box and air filter. I removed the carburetor and disassembled it entirely. I cleaned all the jets, bowl, etc. and put all jets back to the factory setting. I reinstalled the carb but kept the air box off until I knew the carb and bike would run. Now when I go to start the bike, the bike cycle but does not start. The only way to get the bike to start is to cuff the air intake to provide a manual choke. It will then turn over and run fine. I have read many forums that say they experience problems with the auto-choke/enricher but its usually because they rpm issues or running issues. I know the issues is resulting in the bike not choking but I do not know how extensive the repair is or where I should start. Any help will be grateful.

Sounds like your on the right track.
    Not sure you can just by the choke .
    Wish I could be more help

Das Boot! - check intake coupler, perhaps replace item. Actually the auto choke on the Blast is pretty reliable, things get messed up from the bike sitting and people futzing with the carb, and not knowing what they are doing.
    EZ

What exactly is das boot ez, the whole black airbox?

the rubber carb boot. they crack quite often especially if its been sitting a while and suck air so it makes it hard to start and wont idle

Yuppers!

I have the same problem with my 2005 Blast. I'm not knowledgeable in the working of a motorcycle so I'm asking for the same help. My bike is very hard to start when the engine is cold.

I normally pump the accelerator 3 times and hold it at full then hit the starter for a few seconds then release the accelerator and hit the starter again. I could start it this way after 5 tries but I'm getting tired of it. I'm sure it's the choke/enricher and if I can only replace the carburetor with something that has manual choke I'll do it. Does anyone out there knows if such carburetor with manual choke exist or can be bought? Thanks for your help.

Change intake coupler/Das Boot!
    EZ

listen to ez, just had this problem, got it started and gave it a little gas and the boot wound up popping all the way off, I put it back on and it works great now

with how much the parts bounce, expect that it might work itself loose once in a while.

Thats why that superboot on ebay is a better idea - the clamping pressure is more evenly distributed and re-enforced - supporting a slightly modified stock boot, the clamp is engineered from a larger piece, and stainless hardware, Dan charges a fair price for all that work -
    EZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast