Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Out of final prototype aircraft quality XB race muffler

yes we can see them(in the members pics area) but in a few days or months your pics would be hard to find in there, and there are other custom and other manufactures exhaust pics in there too. so read the link and post any other future pics you have of that exhaust here in this thread for future reference so everyone now and later can find and see them of what you have built.

Ok, I appreciate the help! As for pretty lol and no chance for a run of 10k pieces, I'm glad to have a job! Lazer cut template would require a good run for production and that's not going to happen ;). Its designed to slip back in oem location. I have requests for silver ceramic coatings, black ceramic, polished, bare, you name it! Can't do as this is not the shop's line of business but I can get to a shop or you can do it when you get it to you at your local shops. Suggest either highest heat header paint or best is ceramic coated as its nickel content is friendly with 321 stainless. This unit should give off substantially less radiant heat to bake the underside of your crankcase and hence oil.

Can I assume the XB9 and XB12 take same muffler? Okay Im done with picts and off to bed-there are more I uploaded and don't see here yet... Final picts with unit on bike to come. Thanks all.
    Marc

es the work looks very good.Maybe a sound bite when you get the chance.How much does it weight? I built something simular 2/years ago for my race 09- XB12R.Used a Stock can off e-bay for the 1st one then completely recopied the outside & brackets.Made the 2nd out of stainless for durability and looks as well. It works pretty good so far. I just couldn't find the nich, and horsepower I needed at the time. So mother of necessity took over & about 2 weekends and tested. Nice rumble at idle,and got about 4 extra horses at midrange. Dang stainless isn't cheap! Keep up the good work!~Jimi

Now go price 321 stainless lol. Argon welded line the FAA likes. Makes a nice double weld on inside as well for twice the strength. Might offer a single stage core for louder and way less money but will be much hotter on engine and swirl flow won't work well.

At one point we weighed and not sure without being at shop right now but was a 7-9 lb savings. I'll check and also will have unit back from ceramic coat today. I did body and not exit stack which I might leave raw to blend like stock to avoid more interest from authorities here as some areas here have laws against louder non oem pipes. This should look like stock to the lesser Buell educated.

Just curious, why 321 ss instead of 304? That doubled your cost unless you get the materials free.

321 is rated for higher temps, better heat cycles, and less corrosive.

Couple buddies us it on their turbo builds but they are running a **** ton more heat, more heat cycles, and they drive in all weather so the corrosion is more of a worry.

I could see the reason but I don't believe it to be needed on the Buell.

Nice to see you know materials! I agree-yes its far more expensive due to its nickel content and hence durability. As you know, the argon welding adds a tiny bit as well but yields a stabilized, clean, dual weld. Aside from that, we are an aircraft shop so its our spec. This is by far a pricier build as mentioned from the start but its the quality I would have wanted. I guess I got motivated when I nearly bought a "Drummer" and saw what was being peddled! Lots of flow testing there I see-How do you have a tuned system when you start with tuned header pipes and dump into a gutted can? Same confusion when somebody just cuts and adds a second outlet on the stock interior with its bad angles, restrictions etc?!?? The fine guage- core material for one section is near $100 for its short length but was spec'd by the engineer in our shop who also races for Team Mazda. It's superior in many ways as was the added work for flanging another section. The cost of flow testing 5 designs for an out of production bike was also questionable but if you Buellers appreciate this work, we might put a few guys who are on a reduced work schedule due to the industry slump back on a couple designs for a few higher number superbike racers and keep them on payroll.

How do I get those other pictures here as well?

Inside a Drummer from above, so why-t-f does it cost so much, it looks basically like a subtractive process???? <- Anyone on that??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast