Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ligntning XB9S as first bike for my girlfried and I

My girlfriend (5'4", 115 lbs) and I (6', 175lbs) love the look and sound of the XB9S 2003.
    We wonder if the bike can be enjoyed by both of us over the next year as it will become mine once she purchases another motorcycle in a year.
    Many thanks, great Blog BTW
    VM

Yeah I am sure it could be suited to fit you both just might have to do some specific mods that can be changed, I would suggest allot of adjustable equip I.E. ASV Adjustable lever's so that your hand or her's will have comfortable pull, Pirate 360 Peg's so you can move your feet out and her's in, there's all kinds of cool mods. And I PERSONALLY like the above mod's and got them for a good deal from Puzzled who is on here but that is my opinion! Welcome to the board great people round here!

After a long search I purchased a xb12scg, and have been very happy with it. I offer my comments as follows:
    1. xb9 with a low seat ($60 on ebay) would be perfect for someone 5'4", since it is very light and nimble.
    2. xbs are very simple machines to maintain and work with. Simple fluid replacements, and other maintenance items. Spark plug change is a little difficult at first, but becomes easy the second or third time.
    3. A lot of help and DIY available on forums such as this and others.
    4. Tons of aftermarket add-ons and affordable prices.
    5. The bike is unique technologically, and they certainly stand out from the rest.

Thanks for the quick replies
    The bike we are looking for has a low seat on it.
    I started to look around the forum and there is a lot of info.
    looking forward to some other comments or advices.

Yea, you can both enjoy it! I'm 6'1 270 and my wife is short and skinny ( didn't specify for marriage reasons) and the bike is a blast to ride . It's really eager to lift the front end with my fat ass on it also !

Would the XB12S be too big or too powerful for my girlfriend?

I believe the 9 and 12 are on the same frame if I am not mistaken? 9 vs 12 is all bout twisting that throttle! I have heard (Cant confirm where) that the 9 is actually a little quicker response in the begining and less in the top end. I've had a XB12R and a 9R and the 9 seemed a little quicker off the line then the 12 but that isnt scientific at all!!

I guess I do not understand the question.
    YOU want to buy a bike for your girlfriend and get it returned after a year?
    Because she will buy another?

I would say, go for your feelings. a XB9 would be great for her though it is not a toy bike!

But I would also be prepared or change the deal. Give her a bike and have her buy another one for you in a year!

Buell´s are addictive and if she has the right set of mind for it, she will not give it back easily.

Guess Buellchick would be the best person to contact on this question.

ABuell is like an engagement ring. Never expect them to give it back!

i dont know how much lower the sl seat is but im 5-7 and have the medium seat and i can't flat foot on both sides. my wife is 5-2 and cant touch on either side. if shes ridden before she will be fine but for a first bike its always nice to be able to touch the ground

One easy thing is that you could keep the low seat, and then buy a taller seat and just swap them back and forth in 5 seconds depending on who was riding the bike. Aside from that, is this her first bike or does she already have experience? If this is the bike she's gonna learn on, I'm slightly curious how much you can really like the girl if you're planning on starting her out on a 984cc bike. The physical size of the bike is small, and I understand that a bike is only as fast as you twist the throttle, even if an xb9 does have less HP than a 600cc I4, but still that's a lot of bike for someone who's 115lbs and is still trying to learn how to ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast