Thread: idler pulley studs

The bottom stud on the drive belt idler is stripped. The bolt wont tighten on it. Is this removeable? Anyone had this happen. I remember it being "funny" when I put new rear tire on it. Forgot about it till I had to pull the rear tire for the new fuel pump.

Yes the studs and both Flange nuts you can pick up at the dealer the studs are Threaded on both ends Try and not to put black iron studs or others in there from a hardware store cause if it ever got in a bind the stud would be so tough it could possibly crack the area where the threads in the case are. The Flange nuts are inexpensive so I would replace those so as to have all fresh on the bike.Good luck *Jimi

Cool thanks. Havent tried the dealer here, as he isnt really a harley dealer per say. He explained it too me when I called abotu a fuel pump, but I will see if they can at least get those parts.

just wondering why you loosen those for rear tire removal i have had my tensioner bolts loose but never to do rear tire i have changed rear tire many times

Yea, I couldnt get the pulley off the studs either. So I took the tire off anyways. Intially was going with the manual. Second time I had the tire off. First was for a new tire. Have since learned its not required to take it off :)

didnt think about it till I tried to torque everything back up. Pulley and bracker are still stuck on the studs, but since I dont need to take them off, not gonna worry about it till then.