Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you all shift on the Blast

6500 - lol
    EZ

I just did first gear up to 30+ish. I guess I never realized it got up that high in first.

So you say most shift too low, do you mean just cruising down the street or are you talking about taking off as fast as you can?

It seems odd to be traveling in a 25mph zone in first gear...?

Motorcycles are like that - the super-bikes never even have to leave first gear riding in the city if they don't feel like shifting -
    EZ

Okay. In a 25 mph zone are you in first gear?

Yes!

Wow, I'm impressed. Although, I have been running in the higher RPM since you mentioned your shifting points above. I actually like it.

I'm thinking my problem now could be that the primary chain needs adjusted to make it a smoother ride. For me, first gear is really jumpy. My Blast doesn't really get smooth until 3 gear. 1st is really bad.

I'm new to bikes (if you can't already tell from my recent posts), but I always thought higher RPM is bad for the engine...?

Redlining it for every shift is a bad idea. I can't stand turning my blast that fast very often, it shakes and rattles like the apocalypse and feels like it will just fall apart. It burns more gas and puts way more wear on the engine. The gears are just clunky, so just try to match your RPMs, shift hard and fast when you're in that RPM window so it pops it in the gear without grinding it, and you should be good. BikerTrash is right on. Steel toes and synthetic.

LOL - if your shifter is really ill shifting, then you need to do a clutch adjustment at the primary, and if still ill shifting, the shift pawl adjustment - except for the first cold start shift into first in the mornings, it should click from gear to gear, as mine have - I don't redline every shift, I just usually shift it closer to its redline, steady state riding is a different thing entirely, however, there is no reason not to ride in first at 25 mph. If your bike is bucking, etc. your primary or clutch adjustment is probably too tight.
    EZ

They shift hard even when everything is adjusted well. My friends' honda superchicken and FZ1 shift smooth as butter on a bald monkey. Every harley and buell I've ever rode takes just a little more work. Everything is adjusted on mine just fine, I just mean it shakes cus of the one piston flying around in there when you spin the engine so fast. It feels like it hurts it. Even 500 and 600 dirtbikes I ride seem to handle their own single pistons better. And dirtbikes can be pretty rough, especially when they are from 1986. I just don't like to turn engines much above 3500 unless I am giving it the beans.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast