Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CR-System Voltage ;(

Hey guys,

Bought a Cr off Ebay a couple weeks ago with 2780mi on it, FMF pipe, and Jardine tail for $6k. It just came in Tuesday and I've put about 50mi on it. Fired it up last night, waited for the "cold" setting to disappear, put it in gear, rolled a few feet, and gauges and signals went out. "System voltage" was on the screen. Shut it off, fired it back up and it was good. This mornin I rode it about 10mi and it was fine, then the same thing happened again. The gauge and signals wotk until I put it in gear it seems. I'm gettin a little scared of what's going.

Also, my legs and thighs get pretty warm when riding. Thinking about using some titanium header wrap to isolate the heat a little better. The whole frame gets real warm. I know ceramic coating looks better, lasts longer, but it doesn't keep the temp down. Anybody wrapped there 1125 headers?

Thanks

Ok first off the system voltage is your voltage regulator is going over volts.
    If it continues you will burn out your head lights.
    You have a couple options. Depending on purchase date if it's under 2 years it will be covered under warranty.(warning this can be hard for the dealer to verfify take a video if u have a smart phone)
    Option 2
    Buy an upgrade voltage regulator I did a how to for the shindo f00012aa.
    Buy a stock replacement I have a used one about 4000 miles on it if your intrested.

Heat yes there's lots of it I herd the grip pads form amercan sport bike help.
    I know there a couple with header wrap and I'll probaly do mine when I put my new body work on.

recall on the charging system probably wasnt done.

RT: I PM'd you. Thanks for the input! The Mosfet seems to be the best way to go. As my pm says, I'm a little nervous because I am electrically un-savvy, but it's still the best way to go. Thanks for your write up!

Lace: I talked with the previous owner. He said that the HD dealer he uses says that there is no recall on my model. That's a load of crap. This is why I'm screwing HD. They don't give a flip about Buellers and I'm really starting not to give a flip about them.

As far as the heating issue goes, I bought 25' of 2" titanium wrap from DEI off Ebay for $33. I'm going to use a scotch-brite pad and polish the headers up real good, school a couple coats of high heat black silicone paint on them from AutoZone, and overlap the wrap 1/4 inch. I know some say to overlap a 1/2"-1", but I've read that retaining too much heat can be detrimental to the internals. 1/4" overlap will HOPEFULLY retain most heat off the engine and frame and also cool down quicker and burn off moisture quicker, IMHO. It'll be several days before I sit down and do this. I'll post a review and pics when I'm done!

I'm about to lengthen my voltage regulator wires and hangs the damn thing on the undertail of my bike... engine temp get baove 205* and the battery can't stay charged... the cops love me reving the bike at 2am ... engine light, battery light, and system voltage message

I'm sure my neighbors love me too since I don't get off work till around 11pm lol. This is Texas Tech territory though, so they're used to college students everywhere. What regulator are you using? If you're still using the POS stock VR, you definitely need to upgrade to the Mosfet VR. RT got me into it and I installed it at the beginning of this week and it works like a champ! Keeps the volts 14-14.3 on average all the time and the reviews on the Mosfet are great and the guy, Jack, is excellent to work with. He'll help you in any way he can. The Mosfet is a little bigger than stock, but RT said it fits good if you put the connectors towards the tail of the bike. I have mine towards the front right now. If you locate it under the tail, I would think the exhaust pipes would really put some heat on it? It might catch a bunch of rubble down there too. Just a thought.

Ok new battery , new. (Ebay) voltage regulator... ct 205 degrees voltage drops like a rock.. where do I but this mofset rectifier at?

I put it back in the same mounting position as the stocker. There's a small lip you have to cut out with a dremel or hack saw since the Mosfet is a little bigger. You'll only be able to get one nut, so just use a little locktite and you'll be fine. Place the connectors towards the rear, otherwise your side plastic won't lock.

http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%...rade%20kit.htm
    thats where you get the regulator.
    But if your not charging at low rpm you likely need your stator rewound.
    I had mine done the place is called Custom rewind in alabama

I'm giving the stealer-ship one last chance... I told them I got 20 miles and 3 stop lights from battery tender to voltage light... if they fail, ill get ahold of custom rewind. What idea of cost am I looking at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast