Thread: Battery Drain While Using GPS

Hey Guys,

I searched and could not find any threads on this topic. I have tried twice now to just wire my Garmin Zumo 550 mount directly into the battery with the supplied cable and in-line fuse. Each time I tried this it worked just fine but the charge on the bike would eventually get so low that it would run like crap, sputter and stall, or just plain not start. I am not to familiar with electronics so my question is as follows. What would be the cheapest and easiest option for me to get my GPS mount hooked up to power. The bike is a 2003 lightning with the original battery. I never have any issues with the battery dying but if you guys think it is necessary, I can look into a new battery.

Thanks

Sounds like you need to pull your GPS power from a switched source so that the cradle power is removed when you shut the bike off. If your battery and charging system are in good shape, your GPS shouldn't be draining your battery to the point of faulty operation. Might want to get those checked.

If your GPS is still draining power when it's shut off and you want to keep the cradle hard wired, then maybe you just need to physically remove the GPS when not riding.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? I only had my GPS in the cradle when riding when it was hard wired. Also, during riding the charge would get so low that it would run poorly. For example, I would leave in the morning, put GPS in cradle, and before to long the bike would start running poorly. Is that normal? I don't see how wiring into a switch would fix that problem

Sounds more like a short issue to me.
    Check to make sure the wire for the gps isn't shorted out at all.

Next I would pull the negative off the battery, with the bike off, and use a multimeter to see if anything is still draining, set it to amps and connect one lead to the bat and the other to the wire you pulled off.
    If it reads any amps something is draining it.
    Could be a short in the wire harness too.
    Good luck