Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch slipping under load

Hey everyone..
    well my xb9r which is just now pushing 3800 miles started slipping under load in all 5 gears tonight while I was out riding..I consulted my manual and adjusted my the freeplay on my lever from what looked like .5mm of free play to about 2-3mm of free play doing this brought my clutch back to life but I noted while the adjustment cover was off the fluid SMELLS like a burnt clutch...so I am wondering..as I have no idea how it should smell, is this normal? I am thinking of changing out the fluid tomorrow just in case.

thanks
    Ned Williams

fluid should be changed every 5k; 2.5k if u ride it like u stole it.

or if its over 6 months old; tends to break down easier

1 qt in the primary, preferably synthetic for most

fill it to where the fluid sits just below the clutch pack or is barely touching it

Was the fluid low?? My CBR slipped when I got it. Added a 1/4 of a quart and she was all good

Yes the Fluid in the Tranny is usually changed around the 3000mile area.There are several fluids that work really well.Try to use (Synthetic) Amsoil 20/50 in the Engine or at Least an V-Twin oil of your choice.The oil cost a little more but protects the Air Cooled Engines better in the long run. The Trannys wet clutch, really needs Extra Protection due to theres no pump or cooler to help it. Redline/And OR Amsoil-75/90 OR 75/140 in the Hotter months(depends on area)you live in. You can use it year round (if it's Cold)let the bike warm up a bit. The Engines can get up to over 400degrees so The manuals at the Top of the Page should help.Make sure the bike is level when draining to get as much old fluid out.That way you won't overfill due to old fluid still left in the Primary Case. When refilling don't over tighten the drain plug OR the Three screws just good and snug, so as not to Strip out the Threads.Might want to put at least an o'ring on the plug. Tranny only takes 1 quart exact.If you do all the work on the kick stand there will still be fluid in it. If you have 1x4 about 5inches long to put under the kick stand that will help to bring the bike up a little so you can work.Have fun learning about your Bike.*Jimi

Oh man sorry Dude, theres many links to some good information you can use in the future.Daves DIY- do it yourself Videos in one Thread. You can I believe You Tube that as well. Stevenc150 on here has some good links for a good read to help as well, and Welcome to the Forum.*Jimi

mine was slipping a little and i did the clutch adjustment and it is perfect. the manuel i downloaded here (at the top of the page) was most helpful in adjusting the clutch...it was very easy to do. and took about 10 minutes with me stopping to read everything twice as i was going along.

Banned
    Yesterday I noticed my clutch slips badly at 4th and 5th gear when I accelerate on highway at 50-60 mph. RPM is raising and speed stays almost the same. 2009 Buell XB12Scg 22000 miles, friction plates has been changed maybe at 10000 miles, Mobil-1 V-twin 20W-50 in the transmission, everything has been adjusted and oil had been changed 2000 miles ago during last maintenance. Clutch cable has enough slack - maybe 2 mm when front wheel is straight.

Service manual says just readjust the clutch. I'm going to readjust it and will report back if it fixed the issue.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-04-2018 at 03:00 AM.

7 year old post TP...

12k miles on a clutch? Get a new clutch. Frictions and steels. Install it. Write thread about it

If you have correct freeplay like you say... what would you adjust it too? The same correct freeplay?

The front wheel straight shouldn't make any difference unless the cable is routed incorrectly. Route the cable correctly so that the freeplay is the same no matter where the front wheel is pointed.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Yesterday I noticed my clutch slips badly at 4th and 5th gear when I accelerate on highway at 50-60 mph. RPM is raising and speed stays almost the same. 2009 Buell XB12Scg 22000 miles, friction plates has been changed maybe at 10000 miles, Mobil-1 V-twin 20W-50 in the transmission, everything has been adjusted and oil had been changed 2000 miles ago during last maintenance. Clutch cable has enough slack - maybe 2 mm when front wheel is straight.

Service manual says just readjust the clutch. I'm going to readjust it and will report back if it fixed the issue.
    if your plethora of previous jibberish is believable you abuse this bike.
    you replaced ONLY the friction plates....and not the metal drive plates? bad decision but doesn't surprise me.
    no mention of this little gizmo being replaced. yours is shot.
    no need to report back. we don't care.

13DiaphragmSpring.jpg

Banned
    I replaced full pack, flat plates and plates with pads. They sold as one set. I bought it on americansportbike.com.

The rest is the original parts including clutch spring.

You have to adjust clutch (the screw under primary inspection cover), not only clutch cable slack. There is probably some tension on this screw. But I adjusted this screw 2000 miles ago. Maybe friction pads slightly rubbed off during slow traffic commute, so now I have to adjust that screw again to have completely engaged pads.

Clutch cable has original routing. Cable has slightly different freeplay during whole steering wheel turning range, but it is still within 1.6-3.2mm range everywhere.

I already have readjusted the clutch and will report you back once I will have a chance to ride on highway.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-04-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast