Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter cuts the power off...

Starter cuts the power off...

This just occurred, went to start (battery good and on trickle), everything lights up, fuel pump works, go to push starter, everything dies. Checked wiring and connections under seat. Everything lights up, go to start, same thing, everything dies. Starter connection? Relay?

Ideas?
    Last edited by Clanofwolves; 05-26-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Banned
    Check ignition relay if the battery is OK. But maybe battery lost juice and voltage drops too low when the starter is trying to crank the engine so relay disconnects. Try connect a good battery, maybe car battery if you have one and test it. Or just connect voltmeter to the battery and see how low voltage drops during cranking the engine.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-25-2018 at 06:51 PM.

best thing is to have battery load tested at any auto parts store. it my read fine but under load drop voltage.

Inactive
    the yellow starter button is fused into the headlight circuit. check the headlight fuse for starters.

Thanks guys! I’ve put the battery on a real trickle charger in lieu of the small battery tender, and I’ll have it load tested.

Question: assuming the battery turns out OK, what should I look at? Does the starter relay kill power to everything for a time if it’s going bad?

This is interesting; I’ll let you know what I find on the battery. It’s rainy here so no loss. Thanks again!

Inactive
    Question: assuming the battery turns out OK, what should I look at? Does the starter relay kill power to everything for a time if it’s going bad?

dave: typically no is the answer. all it does is receive a voltage "trigger signal" from the switchgear mounted starter button....then it substantially raises the voltage signal and sends on its way to the starter assembly solenoid. that's the whole purpose of the relay. having said that i'm seeing starter/key switch/ignition relays starting to fail at alarming rates now mostly due to age. for the $6 price of admission i just simply replace with new. what ricky suggested always highly recommended. these XB's are hell on batteries. an odd fresh electrical gremlin rearing its ugly head in conjunction with start up issue? almost always the battery and/or cable connections.

Perfect advise so far, you've got some qualified help already

Let me add that a loose or corroded battery connection will do that exact thing. No matter what, this will be easy do diagnose if you have a voltmeter.

Put it on the battery. You should have >12.5 volts. Press the starter button and you should have >9.6 volts.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-28-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Great additional info. I checked the connections first, and insured they were clean, dielectric greased and tight. I know how the relay works, I just couldn’t figure why, after the power went from the electronics to the starter, and the starter failed to turn over the engine, why all the electrical indicators went dark for a few minutes. Battery I’m assuming or a faulty relay?

The battery showed good voltage, but the amperage was below spec on the load test. The Autozone day didnt carry a battery with the recommended starting amps. This something I have to go to the HD dealership for?

New Relay too or......?

Inactive
    below is the link to the best battery you'll ever find for XB's at the absolute best price. 220CCA's which is outstanding.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEKA-ETX14-...MAAOSwOFBafYkT

all 3 relays the same and also the same for all years XB's. factory part # is H-D#31522-00
    cross-overs are: 2005 ford focus a/c relay
    Panasonic CM1-D-12V $4 each online.
    NAPA V11214 $5 at napa
    NAPA v11190 $5 at napa
    Duralast part #19283---autozone/pepboys/etc etc

you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post

dave: typically no is the answer. all it does is receive a voltage "trigger signal" from the switchgear mounted starter button....then it substantially raises the voltage signal and sends on its way to the starter assembly solenoid. that's the whole purpose of the relay. having said that i'm seeing starter/key switch/ignition relays starting to fail at alarming rates now mostly due to age. for the $6 price of admission i just simply replace with new. what ricky suggested always highly recommended. these XB's are hell on batteries. an odd fresh electrical gremlin rearing its ugly head in conjunction with start up issue? almost always the battery and/or cable connections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Perfect advise so far, you've got some qualified help already

Let me add that a loose or corroded battery connection will do that exact thing. No matter what, this will be easy do diagnose if you have a voltmeter.

Put it on the battery. You should have >12.5 volts. Press the starter button and you should have >9.6 volts.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    below is the link to the best battery you'll ever find for XB's at the absolute best price. 220CCA's which is outstanding.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEKA-ETX14-...MAAOSwOFBafYkT

all 3 relays the same and also the same for all years XB's. factory part # is H-D#31522-00
    cross-overs are: 2005 ford focus a/c relay
    Panasonic CM1-D-12V $4 each online.
    NAPA V11214 $5 at napa
    NAPA v11190 $5 at napa
    Duralast part #19283---autozone/pepboys/etc etc

you're welcome.
    Thanks all!!!! Fantastic help; I’m replacing the battery and I’ll look at the relays too; maybe go ahead and replace them if they’re easy to get.

Real thanks for the relay numbers and options; that’s very useful; props!!

BTW, What’s the difference in the two NAPA part numbers? That’s kinda my go-too round here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast