Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch slipping under load

Here’s a tip to help your clutch last longer;
    At stop lights, on a hill, use the brakes to keep your bike from rolling, NOT THE CLUTCH.
    I abuse the hell out of my bike and it has about 45k on it, with the original clutch. Only thing I’ve ever replaced is the clutch basket, due to it having a hairline crack.

I would heed Lunatics advise. His experience with Buells and motorcycles in general is vast. And why not? It's cheap and in your hand while doing a clutch. A weak diaphragm spring would absolutely cause your issue.

Maybe it fixes your problem of burning clutches, maybe it's something else, but theres no downside to putting in a new one. So again, why not?

Banned
    If it is a couple dollars part it is OK to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Not the amount of squeeze, but force on clutch lever. If it is the same as before it means the spring has same force as before.

Even troubleshooting section of service manual says in case of slipping clutch readjust the clutch or change clutch plates. Nothing about clutch spring.

.....????

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I would heed Lunatics advise. His experience with Buells and motorcycles in general is vast. And why not? It's cheap and in your hand while doing a clutch. A weak diaphragm spring would absolutely cause your issue.

Maybe it fixes your problem of burning clutches, maybe it's something else, but theres no downside to putting in a new one. So again, why not?
    thanks for the very kind words shaughn!
    this directed towards board members interested in clutch replacement done the correct way.......not TEABAG who argues for the sake of argument and trolling.
    a wet-clutch system is "wet" for one reason and one reason only: a method to cool the clutch pack in an enclosed environment. that's it. all buells have wet-systems. why an enclosed environment? to cut down on both noise/chatter and dirt from exiting and entering the clutch pack. the bane of any wet-clutch system is heat. it destroys the friction plates....warps and discolors the metal driven plates....and causes the tension springs to fatigue and lose their ability to fully clamp the pressure plate to the pack. XB's have a diaphragm spring in lieu of multiple coil wound tension springs. it's a nice well-thought-out simple design but the spring should always be replaced when servicing the clutch with new components.
    we will now resume normal programming and return you to this worthless thread.

Banned
    Service manual does not say so.

Let's see, tear into the clutch, and not replace a spring because the manual doesn't say so. ? Let me think about that for a moment ?
    Let's see, do what lunatic suggests, since he knows Buells inside and out, or do what the manual says to do, let me think about that ?

No one is right all the time but neither is the manual, example would be, torque specification's. If I had to take apart my bike due to the clutch,, I would replace everything I could, it's kind of like carpentry, measure twice, cut once !

Banned
    Well, you can replace a bunch of things, primary chain because of it can be stretched, clutch basket because of it can have worn sprocket teeth, needle bearing because of it can be worn, clutch ramp because it can have worn grooves and balls, e.t.c.

Exactly. ^^^^^ Do that.

BTW, if you need the Buell clutch tool and don't want to machine one from scratch, I have one I'll send you (to borrow) if you wish.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Here’s a tip to help your clutch last longer;
    At stop lights, on a hill, use the brakes to keep your bike from rolling, NOT THE CLUTCH.
    I abuse the hell out of my bike and it has about 45k on it, with the original clutch. Only thing I’ve ever replaced is the clutch basket, due to it having a hairline crack.
    Which clutch pack do you use? Is it original Buell XB clutch pack? I bought mine on americansportbike.com, and it looks different than original, the pads color and pattern are different.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast