Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Clutch slipping under load

Banned
    I think that's fine. Resources of human brain are limited, so I prefer to learn something more important than learn how to English.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-21-2018 at 02:45 AM.

Seems like how to properly maintain your Buell is beyond those resources too.
    Good luck with the clutch fix!

Banned
    The most important thing is you are able to understand me.

Banned
    Finally I have tested the clutch. Wow, the new clutch plates are so grippy, no slipping at all at full throttle. So, if your clutch slips and adjusting the clutch does not help, just replace the clutch plates. Do not use Barnett clutch plates, use original Buell clutch plates if you can find it, it will last longer and it is probably cheaper than Barnett. Probably Barnett is good for racing application but not for daily city riding.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-21-2018 at 03:35 PM.

So you hijack a thread from 2011, and the very next post told you to change the clutch. It took you 6 bloody pages of arguing with yourself, to actually do it.

Congratulations.

At the risk of you writing 6 more pages of mental masturbation.... Did you replace the spring like Lunatic said? The free height comparison side by side won't well you anything, it is a spring it's job is to resist deflection. Unless you test it that way, you'll never know and a weak one will wear out a clutch quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    So, if your clutch slips and adjusting the clutch does not help, just replace the clutch plates.
    Your conclusion mostly correct if you add frictions, steels, and diaphragm spring (like Lunatic said) and "adjusting" a slipping clutch will never fix it unless it was adjusted incorrectly which would cause a slip immediately. Because you can't "adjust" a clutch to hold any tighter than the spring holds the pack already.

Banned
    I installed the new spring but I feel no difference in lever resistance force, the force is the same as it was before. I'm sure I can install the old spring and it will work the same.

By the way, I reused the primary cover gaskets. Those gaskets have maybe 4 or 5 installations on them already ant still no leak. I also reused the shifter seal, it has 2nd installation on it. Manual says to replace all those gaskets, but I decided to take the risk and see if they will work with multiple reusages. I know you guys are afraid to do anything other than manual says, so stay tuned, I will report back to you how they perform when I will have more miles on them.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-21-2018 at 05:22 PM.

You couldn't feel a difference in the spring unless you have a calibrated Terminator arm or something, you wouldn't even feel the slipping clutch with a slightly weak one installed. It would just wear the frictions out faster.

Install the old spring and see if the clutch lasts. I'll wait for your report.

Re-using gaskets is fine by me as long as its not under pressure. I wouldn't try that with head gaskets... The primary isn't under pressure so you'll be fine, unless you damaged the gasket in one of your "4 or 5 installations".

Deviating from the prescribed manual instructions can be ok if you possess common-sense, experience, and mechanical skill. Not sure if that applies in this case

Banned
    We will know soon enough. You guys will be surprised how good those primary case gaskets are. They can survive multiple installations. Too bad the Buell engine internal components do not match those primary case gaskets lifespan.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 05-21-2018 at 06:02 PM.

You're funny I'll add a Buell primary gasket to the list of ever lasting stuff blowing around in the apocalyptic wind....

BTW, I'm pulling a primary cover off today to heli-coil a primary chain adjuster bolt. I'll re-use the gasket if it comes off clean, and I don't even blame Erik for that stripped bolt

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast