Thread: Great service!

went to HD Tygervalley where i bought my Uly from today to do a TPS reset after the exhaust mod.

quoted me half an hour at ZAR250 (about US$40), which is much cheaper than buying the cable, importing it, etc, etc.

guys came back saying everything is fine, but i should probably get it done once per month, so i though, OK - money making scheme.

turns out they will do i for free, plus they didn't charge me for today either! loving it!

now the backfire is also substantially less!

Glad they hooked you up, but in all honesty $40 is what the cable costs shipped, so I'm not sure about the much cheaper statement. Also the TPS reset doesn't involve any importing of any information, only when importing maps. Personally I like having the cable and not having to rely on my local stealership..

TPS reset has nothing to do with changing your exhaust, but the exhaust change might have amplified an existing problem.

TPS restes only need to be done every 10,000 miles by the manual....realistically most bikes need it far less.

i think you are both missing the point...whether the TPS reset was needed or not is not the issue. a few fellow Beullers suggested a TPS reset after the exhaust mod would be a worthwhile idea, so that is what i did.

$40 might not be a lot of money for you, but multiply that by 6 (or 7) then you have our Rand equivalent, add to that postage, customs, delays, methods of payment, sitting at the bottom end of the world, having to upgrade my really slow and outdated PC laptop to sun the software (as everything i use is Mac based)...then it becomes a really expensive exercise.

my point was (and still is) that some forum members in the States complain about the service from their local HD agents.

here i am in South Africa, with a second-hand Buell, worth half of the cheapest Harley and i get treated as if i bought the most expensive one. great service - that's all! ;)

Wally, it's great to hear something positive, thanks.

Wally , good morning . Did you have the exhaust mods done here in Cape Town. Can you elaborate on what was done and who did it for you.I would like to do some on mine . Regards

Hopper, i did it myself - well, most of it!

i followed the details on this thread, with my pics here.

bought the 50mm perf pipe and tips from Powerflow in Bellville, packing material from Scorch exhausts, did all the cutting and "fabricating" work myself, then took it to Scorch to get welded up and packed, then just ground down the welds, finished and painted it and installed.

shout if you want to do it - we can get it done. :)

Wally I just noticed from your photos that you have a 2008 model, you don't need a cable to reset the TPS on 08+ models so you can do it yourself in the future without spending a $.

'08+ TPS Reset Procedure:

- Turn on the key.

- Set the kill switch to the run position.

- Don’t start the engine. Rotate the throttle from fully closed (gently forced closed) to fully open (gently held open), and then back again to closed (gently forced closed).

- Repeat 3 times. Hold each position (fully open, fully closed) for 1 full second.

- Turn the key off and on.

OK cool, thanx stellio!