Thread: Headlamp questions for the XB guys.

So I am putting an XB headlamp on my X1. I purchased a new assembly and am puzzled by the 194 bulb in the center. Is it a daytime running light? When is that thing on and why? XBs always have the low beam on yes??

My other question I searched for with little to no luck finding is: I would love to put dual element bulbs in each housing but I am pretty sure the base of the bulb is different. The 3 prongers have a larger diameter base if I remember correctly. Has anyone successfully installed dual element bulbs and how? Physically I mean.. I can sort out the wiring I think. ;)

I am putting LED bulbs inside the housing as well to serve as signals. In my mind it is gonna be pretty damn sweet but the way I set it up depends on whether I can run both lamps simultaneously for low and high beams.

Your thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Which XB headlamp - Lightning or Firebolt? I'm assuming it's the Lightning since you mention the 194 bulb, which should be a daytime running light. I can't speak for the Lightning, but the firebolt has the lowbeam on at all times. I would suggest against putting LED bulbs inside the reflector as signals, as they will not be seen when the headlights are actually on and they could be mistaken for a flashing headlight instead of a signal.

Lightning. They will be on the outer edge flush with the clear lens and are bright ass ambers behind a difuser. Trying to be clean and unique and according to a motorcycle cop I spoke to the other day this will be legal. I am aware they may not be as visble but I never assume anyone is aware I am turning even with my big blinkers on.

Some of the European bikes they have the extra bulb recepticals for the lights & they made the light recievers the same and fit some of the model bikes.The american bikes sold here usually don't have the wiring installed. You can order the wiring/& reciever plugs/receptical for the USA bikes and unplug the extra hole for your setup.The Stator over time may not hold up if all is running all the time. May want to put a good relay & fuse on each light assembly and a good battery. If you do short trips the Battery can't recover quickly enough so a Battery Tender and Cable plug on the Battery will help you keep up with the demands.Check your voltage output once done.See about maybe a good metal Toggle switch to be able to cut off the Bright Beams just in case you need power to start the Engine.Not sure if the Switch/wiring on the bar will hold that much wattage for a long ride.Those relays will help keep it in check.Post a pict.,when done.*Jimi

Thanks jimi...

After grabbing an h4 bulb and comparing the base to the original h7... I could modify the bulb to fit... it would take a dremel and a six pack.... posibbly a band aid.

Then when my bulbs burn out I get to do it all over again...

Meh... screw it... hehehhehe... not worth the effort

You're Welcome young skywalker,I am finishing a custom Trike for a Sweeeet young gal, and every thing is special. I've had to keep a list of all bought and needed.I've tried to Explain to her but on deaf ears.Well it's a paycheck.Have fun with your build.*Jimi

Another related question:

Has anyone successfully separated the two halves of the headlamp assembly?

I have opened up car headlamps before by baking them in the oven at a low temp to soften the sealant used. I was going to try this on my XB lamps but noticed it is sealed with a silicone sealant. Auto lamps are sealed with a sealant that remains pliable and heat makes it softer.

I cleared the tabs and pulled with all my might with no luck. If I pry on it I will chowder up the edges that will be visible on my build.

Any tips? Anyone done this successfully with out effing up the housing?

I did the oven trick on an XBS housing.
    It works. Just keep the temps low.

I actually had plans on running 2 dual element bulbs in each side and I was gonna use the same refractor in both sides so it looked the same ( light level ).

I still have the dual element bulbs and harnesses.

Then I realized it's easier and cheaper to go HIDs.
    Which greatly increase light output.

I will give it a shot. I considered boiling it.. maybe throwin in some carrots and potatoes.

You say you have the bulbs? h4s? Is there a dual element bulb with a h7 style base?

EDIT: Do you still have the xtra refractor you were going to use???