Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004xb12s Personal Build Thread

Figured I would start my own thread instead of junking up the forum. This is going to be a thread that comes with write-ups for all the beginners out there because I am a buell beginner myself.

Soon to come: I am working on writeups for led kit installation, headlight bezel removal paint and replacement, tail chop, removal of siderails paint and replacement, installing a buellxb dashboard, fat bars, barend mirrors, custom plate holder to accompany the tail chop, and tail lift.

Ok I bought my bike in October of last year and just finally started getting in some moderate modifications. The picture below is the day i brought her home. The bike is a 2004xb12s if you couldn't guess already.

It had a smoked tail light, some dangerously wired LED's, Jardine slip on, k&n, crg levers, and pretty much stock everything except the Insane Clown Posse Tank Sticker that was debeautifying my valencia orange plastics.

This is the start of removing the headlight bezels for paint
    Remove the windscreen obviously

Remove the two black torx bolts holding the bezels to the headlight bracket

Remove the allen keys that hold the bezels to the triple trees they are located in the middle one behind the horn and one opposite of it

I found it easier to remove the bezels if the ignition was unbolted so i went out and bought a tamper proof bit set in order to remove it. You get about 12 pieces for $27 but I had no other choice besides drill holes in my current torx bits.

Don't forget after loosening headlight bezels you must remove the brake line mount that is bolted to the side opposite of the ignition.

This is it with the bezels completely removed

Time for Paint

This is the start of the tail chop and removal of the seat rails for paint. Along with adding and painting Diesel Moto tail lift.

Removal of the cheesegrater, seat rails, and tail lift

Completely removed. Just lay the undertail onto the rear tire.

Painted them and started reinstalling

I chose to do the right side first because the resevoir is hard to bolt back on once the tray is bolted in

I used semi flat black because I wanted the paint to be noticeable but Gloss is a little much for my buell because i was trying to go for a darker look

There are ground wires that bolt on both seat rails so you need to make sure not to forget them.

As you can see in this picture I reinstalled the bezels and am still working on the seat rails.

This is the license plate bracket that I fabbed out of sheet metal. It will hold the stock turnsignals and is being painted right now...I will post installation pictures tonight after it dries

Moved the led's inside the K&N for a cleaner look and moved one from the windscreen to the plate so that my plate light matched the color scheme of the bike. I think a bright white light on the plate would ruin the look of the rest of the LED's

I also repainted my DIY axle sliders, installed cp adjustable mounts and 80mm footpegs, and repainted the heel guards to match. Also not listed are the renthal fat bars and the Precision Engineering fat bar clamp which i will post pictures of also later tonight. My xbbackground is on the way from europe and I will take pictures of that install once i get it.

love the LEDs in the filter! wont that mess up air flow?

wont that mess up air flow?
    the idea came from upthemaiden and no they are just 2 small strips that lay around the interior wall of the filter.

Here are also some pictures from the DIY axle sliders I did.

I am going to be mounting the tsigs and plate tonight so i will post pictures of it done and I will be getting a used cheesegrater in the mail on friday I plan to chop and paint on friday night and mount on saturday so expect some finished pictures saturday afternoon or night.

I'm glad my headlight bezel came black when I bought it. I need to get a set of sliders for my bike too.

Figured I would start my own thread instead of junking up the forum.
    I support personal journals

I support personal journals
    Thanks I have been around long enough to know that forum members hate junked up forums...haha

I can't wait to get off work so that i can go home and finish mounting my tsigs and plate light. UPS better get my new tail piece here on friday like they said they will.

I'm glad my headlight bezel came black when I bought it.
    I hate the silver pieces on my bike...I am going to get the forks powdercoated this winter. Can't wait for that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast