Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD FUEL PUMP?

HOW CAN I CHECK IF MY FUEL PUMP IS BAD WITHOUT TAKING IT OUT?
    2003 XB9S

do a pressure test if you have the tools or pull the line and see if its pumping,spray carb cleaner in the throttle body and see if it starts if it starts and you have injector pulse then its the pump

IMKRL, I'm having trouble with mine too. Same bike/year. aparently these pumps are not as good as the 04+ bikes. seems like the 03 was almost a stab in the dark and then they fixed everything for 04, owell still like the bike. anyways i am pretty sure mine is clogged and/or a line from the actual pump motor to filter is broken so i'm going to try sucking the tank dry and rinsing it out before i go to the trouble of pulling the swingarm off to get the pump out.
    Do you have ECMSPY ? I do an did the diagnostic and got nothing bad from that so thats why i think mine is clogged or has a broken line in the tank since its "slurping" fuel. you can read mine and anothers experience and such here: http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...B9s-what-gives

sorry dont really know how to post pretty links :( sorry. where are you located?
    Nick

look on the recall list guys, i know for a fact some models had fuel pump issues and got it fixed for free thru harley. i had the same problems with my 05 adn thats what the outcome was. hell i wound up getting a new fuel pump, both coils, ecm, adn some wiring replced for free after my warranty had long been expired.

anrkizm95 is right and you can get a fuel pressure instrument for checking at Checker and other parts supply OR you can just take it loose.This won't tell you the pressure but will tell you if it works. Make sure to be careful some safety glasses, you can remove it [Hose] and put it in a Clean bucket turn on the Start/kill switch,to see if it pumps.The fuel filter could be clogged.Post up when can.Might want to check on the factory recalls list as well.*Jimi

I WANT TO CHECK THE FUEL PUMP BECAUSE WHEN I TURN THE KEY AND HIT THE "RED ENGINE RUN BUTTON" THERE IS NO NOISE AT ALL. YOU CANT HERE THE FUEL PUMP PRIME.

Check to see if you have power at the fuel pump connection with a test light....if you don't have power then check your relay. My pump just took a crap.

ignition and fuel run thru the same curcuit. i think i said that right lol. what i mean is if you flip the switch to do start up check adn you dont here a prime up check connections fro possible short or ground issue, thats the first thign i would do. there is a green wire at the relay that tends to suffer heat damage adn can short out a coil fast. its not always the fuel system when it aint gettin primed. my guess is over half of us on here have had your problem in the past. is why i suggested look up the recall on it. whats with the caps btw, we all friends here mang lol.

Sorry about the all CAPS, I type all my reports for work in all CAPS. Its just habit.

YAHOO ! ! ! ! I think I figured out the problem. I think its from bad gas. Both of my XBs sat for a year due to health problems, well I put a new battery in the other bike and heard the fuel pump whine a little bit (not loud like normal) and the exhaust smell was awful. I think the old gas gummed up the fuel pump. I'll drain both the bikes and run some fresh gas through them and let you know what happends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast