, electrical, poping, fuses, diagnosing, bulbs" /> electrical? headlights keep blowing out....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electrical? headlights keep blowing out....

So, in the past 2 or 3 weeks i have gone through 2 low beam and 2 high beam bulbs??? I have no idea how to go about diagnosing this! it's not poping fuses, and the bulbs seem to die while riding normally just out of the blue...

I will check for wires that might have gotten frayed, but wouldn't that pop the fuse?

any input is apresciated.
    Thanks

Lando

maybe your voltage regulator is on its way out and the voltage is too high.

Cheap bulbs may not withstand all that v-twin vibration.

Well, the first two bulbs were the factory ones that lasted roughly 15K miles and after the low beam went out, I started riding with the high beam and it blew out within 2 days. I never use the high beam otherwise, so in essence it lasted about 5 hours of actual running time. The next two bulbs were top quality Sylvanias (gold series) and they lasted about 10 hours on the low and about 5 or so on the high beam.
    The voltage regulator sounds like a possibility and I will check that!

Btw, I have a 08 xb12.

Thanks guys!

Lando, Im having the same exact problem. I lost my high beam around 2 months ago, replaced it two weeks ago and then Monday morning on my way to work, they both went out at the same time. The fuse for the lights has been good but I have been popping ACC fuse about 3 times in the last month or so. I have an 07 xb12s with just over 12,000

I tried some of those Silverstar hyper whites a couple of times, lasted about a week or so, went back to the cheapest thing in the store, haven't had a problem with bulbs since, check the back of the package on the bulbs, should have a durability chart, the brightest are usually the least durable.

Get PIAA bulbs. I have had very good luck with them. Plus you can very bright ones also.

Well, I went through the service manual and ther is no procedure for checking the voltage regulator. It only states that it is not a serviceable part and if it fails, to replace it!

So how do I know if it has failed?

I'm no poping any fuses, the bike runns great, I don't have a check engine light....

Anyway, I went and bought the cheap model bulbs (longer life rating) and we will se how long these last!

Anyone know the part number for a voltage regulator? Price?

Lando

so, after i posted the previous tread, i went out for a ride and half way through, the CEL came on!
    Pulled over, didn't see anything, bike was running fine.... started it back up and light was gone....
    Got home, checked the code and i have a code 16 (Battery Voltage) and the code can be caused by a faulty voltage regulator....

Anyone know know part number???

Thanks guys,
    Lando

voltage to high,bad grounds or wiring problem in the harness.dont touch the tips of the bulbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast