Thread: What should the Coil Ohm out at?

want to test mine for diag purposes. anyone? cant find it in the service manual

Coils should be pretty low resistance. Generally speaking it is pretty much a binary thing. It is either good (small resistance) or bad (open circuit)

A dirty connector can decrease energy through the coil. But coils themselves, like a like bulb, are good or bad.

The coil on my old jeep went just as I was pulling out a of a pizza shop with hot pizza to bring home for the family. Called the wife and she strapped me home before the pizza got cold. :D

Summarized from the service manual:

1. Using Ohm-meter, measure resistance of front/rear plug wires. Resistance should be between 1.4k and 3.3k ohms.

2. Using Ohm-meter, measure resistance of primary and secondary coil windings.

Primary: Measure resistance between the two outer contacts (there's three contacts inside the connector). Resistance should be between 0.5 to 0.7 ohms.

Secondary: Measure resistance between the two plug wire connectors (outputs) on the sides of the coil. Resistance should be between 5.5k to 7.5k.

coil problems

Quote Originally Posted by anrkizm95 View Post
    Summarized from the service manual:

1. Using Ohm-meter, measure resistance of front/rear plug wires. Resistance should be between 1.4k and 3.3k ohms.

2. Using Ohm-meter, measure resistance of primary and secondary coil windings.

Primary: Measure resistance between the two outer contacts (there's three contacts inside the connector). Resistance should be between 0.5 to 0.7 ohms.

Secondary: Measure resistance between the two plug wire connectors (outputs) on the sides of the coil. Resistance should be between 5.5k to 7.5k.
    hi amigo i am new in the forum , and thx a lot in advance for the answer , i have problems with the spark plugs front cylinder no spark , change plugs , cables and nothing i am testing the coil with the method of the three contacts inside the connector and this is what the multimeter reads one connector the rear one reads .07 ohms and the front .03 ohms , do you think the coil could be the problem ?? thx a lot

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by alexg3531 View Post
    hi amigo i am new in the forum , and thx a lot in advance for the answer , i have problems with the spark plugs front cylinder no spark , change plugs , cables and nothing i am testing the coil with the method of the three contacts inside the connector and this is what the multimeter reads one connector the rear one reads .07 ohms and the front .03 ohms , do you think the coil could be the problem ?? thx a lot
    according to your readings.....the answer is no.
    the coil is not only grounded via the ecm but triggered by the ecm.
    if you're saying you have no spark to the plugs start by checking your fuse box fuses, relays, ecm assembly for cracking in the area of the harness plugs and melting of the filler material on back of same....and your BAS sensor.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-02-2017 at 12:37 PM.

thx a lot , I will check all this parts !!!