Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: $11 sidestand upgrade

Buy the pre 07 sidestand and drill out the back side and add the upgrade pin

So i have an 03 XB9R and got the pin ordered up to go replace it before reading this whole thread...durrr

It would appear that I will need a new "spring hook," if you will, with more of an S-shape to it, correct?

My other question is what about the neutral safety switch? Do the newer bikes have a different style? My new pin would have to somehow pass through the switch

The safety switch was only on the 03, you need to cut it off and twist the wires together. You also need the updated s hook also.

Thanks man. Is the correct S hook the P/N: L0203.02A8 that was posted on the last page?

ASB says you cannot just buy the pin anymore?

Thank you great info 👍🏼

This went pretty well and I felt like it was totally necessary since the darn threaded pin was loose again when I went to remove it. It's not as easy as I thought. The side stand is some of the hardest steel i've ever worked with. You must have access to a drill press, cutting oil and more that one 1/2" cobalt bit. These drill bits are expensive and not commonly sold at tool houses and home improvement stores because of the rarity anyone will ever need a 1/2" steel bit of such quality.

After a stop to my local custom bike shop the mechanic lost a bit trying to bore this out and gave up suggesting a machine shop. I didn't take his advice and set out to do it myself. Found the bits and a press and if I didn't know how to sharpen drill bits to get more from them this would have cost way too much.

THIS IS SOME SUPER HARDENED STEEL as I think you people already knew that It's just not emphasized enough in this thread so I'm emphasizing it now LOL. You might run around and FAIL if you aren't prepared with tools and equipment for this mod but I'm glad it's done so thank you for the solution to a dangerous problem.

Oh btw, I don't like the c-clip anymore than you people but it rotates with the pin and the pin rotates with the sidestand so no wear on the clip. The e-clip was just too small and scary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midway; 08-14-2017 at 12:01 AM.

The kickstand isn't that hard? Obviously you don't want to just jam one giant drill bit in the hole, start small and work up to the proper size, just like any other big hole you need to make.

Most likely it was work hardened by using a dull bit and getting way too hot.

Cobalt or titanium drill bits can even be found at a Harbor Freight. Not the best ones, but I wouldn't even bother with regular steel bits for anything.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567