Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White wire mod? Lightning CityX XB9SX

Can I get some input on the white wire mod i've been hearing about?

excerpt from www.steveturnbull.co.uk/buell/thexbpages/XBPerformance.htm

XB9 White Wire Mod - On the XB9, there is a white wire, which can be disconnected and results in a noticeable improvement in performance.

It is possible to either cut the white wire (bad idea) or remove the connector from the plug (better) For these connectors, you want the equivalent of a "pick tool". The connectors latch into the blocks by a little clip mechanism. Once you've separated the two halves of the block, there is a "Secondary Locking Wedge" that is a sort of cover over the female part of the connector. You have to prise that off before you can depress the terminal latch and remove the connector.

The white wire is on the grey deutche connector between the black/white and the pink/yellow wires, the second one in from the centre in the front row. This white wire goes to the vehicle speed sensor. This wire is related to the dip in performance to pass noise emissions tests, hence removing it on a 9 should improve performance. On a 12, there are questions as to the results.

Any help at all would be welcome...

After trying it out on a run through the curves around my house and of course going through all the gears from a dead stop... That dip in performance is still there, keep in mind i'm running a bones stock CitX here, it's just not quite as pronounced. The real suprise came going from 1-2 gear and 2-3 gear. Quite a bit more pop-up than usual. I'm a fairly light rider 140lbs 5'9". Okay so I'm a real light rider. The point i'm making is that I adjusted my suspension so that the shock is set for my weight and the front end is approximately 1/2 inch lower than the rear because going from 1-2 and 2-3 in flat out acceleration the front end kept popping up. Before i pulled the white wire, the tire wouldn't actually come off the ground, now it does... wonder what it's like if i put the front suspension back stock?

PS I can only touch the ground with the balls of my feet...any suggestions that don't involve high heels or the expensive shorter shock? (Besides the lower seat...)

Just a few pics, I'm sorry they aren't better quality, digital camera battery was dead so I used my cell phone and sent them to my email, you can't beat a good visual reference, hope to hear some replies from you guys that have already done this mod, and from some of you that try it soon.

edit: picture layout for better/easier view

FYI, with the latest version of ECMSpy you can disable the 'white wire' with the click of a button.

I didnt feel anything dramatic on my US-spec 12.

Before reading further, just wanted to let you know, I do appreciate your input, and I'm not trying to be a dick but...
    That's fine for those of you with an ECMSpy, but it only took me 3 minutes to do this mod so not a big deal really. From what I've been able to gather it doesn't effect the 12 the same way it does the 9, There isn't really anything dramatic to feel, even on the 9, but (on the 9 at least) you can feel a difference. Every little bit counts, plus it's free, so good for those of us that can't afford anything else at the moment.

Is this mod also for XB12Ss???

Before reading further, just wanted to let you know, I do appreciate your input, and I'm not trying to be a dick but...
    That's fine for those of you with an ECMSpy, but it only took me 3 minutes to do this mod so not a big deal really.

no sweat. my intention wasnt to say you were doing anything wrong, the comment wasnt directed solely at you, just wanted to add there is another method to perform this mod in case someone doesnt want to mess with their connector.

sharing info is whats its all about, no? title of the thread is 'white wire mod'.

and i agree, every bit counts. i still have mine disabled. btw, Steves site is missing a little more info, "the white wire is connected to the ecm and the speed sensor. at various speeds and throttle position, timing is retarded to reduce noise and power."

It's been my expperience that if something sounds to good to be true (or to easy to get more power) it usually is. Of the folks who have done this, have any of you had any bad results, and how many miles have you put on it since you've done it?

So far only about 30 miles, no ill effects yet...but if anything happens i'll let you know, and typeone, thanks again for your input. Chuckanut, I'm not sure if you will notice a difference on a 12 or not, have only done it on a stock 9 so far, but you could ask around, typeone could maybe help you. Bordsnbikes, that is true, but at the same time, I gotta try. Thanks Ya'll.

I did it about a year ago, no problems. cant be sure of any performance gains though. any one have a dyno?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast