Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom short tail for X1s

When I first bought my X1 one of the first ideas I had was chopping up the tail. I saw the short tail kit available from Trojan Horse and liked it but... not enough to spend 1400 bucks. I played with the idea of buying a used tail and seat and hacking them up but it seemed like a waste of time and effort since I may not like the result.

Finally I decided on making one from scratch. I had great ideas but I'm no fabricator by any means. I got a friend involved who is and in turn we had to get someone else involved who has a cnc tubing bender. Bending mirror image pieces of tubing by hand is well... computers do it better. Better but not cheaper and we have to make more than one.

So what started off as a one off part for my bike has turned into the idea of offering these for sale. Within a couple weeks I will have mine completed and will share photos. I was originally planning on cutting a seat down and making it a reaaaaal shooorty but have decided to make it to where it would utilize the stock seat, tail lamp and attaching points for the electronics and such. This way it would be a bolt on part and easy to install if we produce more.

I have already committed to make enough parts to assemble 5 of these. I may just end up with extra material and an expensive one off sub frame. Or maybe some other X1s will be sporting our handy work. The first 5 will be chromoly steel but if people like them and we sell the other 4 we may run another batch in aluminum.

I look forward to showing mine off when its done. Is this something anyone here would have an interest in?

Here is my cheezy doodle showing the basic idea.

Wow That looks 100000 times better!!! I like the X1 but always hated that giant seat bracket thing. Your design makes the bike look soooo much better!! Love itIf I had a n X1 I would be on your list of customers.

Thanks Batman. My ghetto rendering gets the point across but the real deal should be much nicer. The tail lamp will be recessed and not distract too much from the profile and we may add stainless or aluminum plates to conceal the oil tank. In addition we may make a similar plate to close the underside, but I am going to try to trim down my carbon fiber under-tail to fit on mine.

Once this is completed and I get my XB lamps/clip-on/dashboard situated I may be happy with my bike. Until I think of something else. I will have my pipe, intake and tune sorted out prior to completion of my tail as well. :D

looks awesome akes me want to buy an x1 as i agree with the aluminum tail section looks like some after thought they stuck on makes the bike look bad ass .what yuor pricing on it

Nuclear blue or black? Opinions?

Anyone have a paint code for Nuclear blue? PPG doesn't have anything close.

I think the lightining seat and under tail tray might look sweet. I saw the under tail tray on ebay.

Not sure on the pricing yet. After the prototype is completed and jigs are made to reproduce them we will know how much time will be involved in making each one. Time = money ;)

Plus we could offer them a few different ways, painted/unpainted/powder coated, with or without side panels and under tail.

Maybe $600-800 depending on options.
    Maybe cheaper if someone wanted one bare bones.
    These are going to be high quality not ghetto fabricated.

I thought about Firebolt tail too Batman. The amount of work it would take I figured Id just start from scratch. :)

looks waaayy better. I've always hated that tail design on the X1s.

Love the look your going for hope to see pics of it complete

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast