Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Breather Reroute

The what valve ? Dirty

You can try this also. Some have said it works well.

Isn't that defeating the point of the intake sucking breather fumes?

You should not be getting enough blow-by to cause a drip out of the breather hose unless it's a very, very, very, worn engine.
    You can give the hose a bend or a loop if you want the vapors to coalesce. I experimented with that on a Buell with 40K miles and after a year... unravel the looped hose and... not one drop.

This pleases me to hear, as my new to me Buelly has about that mileage. Not sure at what point the bypass was installed. I'm enjoying getting up to speed(a good pun here) learning from you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

You should not be getting enough blow-by to cause a drip out of the breather hose unless it's a very, very, very, worn engine.
    You can give the hose a bend or a loop if you want the vapors to coalesce. I experimented with that on a Buell with 40K miles and after a year... unravel the looped hose and... not one drop.

Well, its not a "re-route", but supposedly redirects some of the vapor to land on the airbox floor, rather than directly into the intake.

TBH, I understand the breather outlets being in the airbox, it makes sense for emissions and the slight intake vacuum helps PCV too. Besides theres no way you could measure any performance difference, much less feel one.

But I do hate that oily air is pumped into an airbox right next to a paper filter Most of us run KN filters so thats a wash (PUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!) but I think it's asking for trouble with an old motor, and soaking/degrading a poorly maintained OE paper filter element. IMO.

Old carburated cars would have a breather filter inside the air cleaner housing. A little (sometimes washable) sponge that would soak up the oil fumes and let air pass before hitting the paper element. Seems like a simple solution that would work well on a Buell. Whatever you put in there, be careful as its inside the intake tract and theres nothing to stop it from going down the TB.

TBH, I understand the breather outlets being in the airbox, it makes sense for emissions and the slight intake vacuum helps PCV too. Besides theres no way you could measure any performance difference, much less feel one.

But I do hate that oily air is pumped into an airbox right next to a paper filter Most of us run KN filters so thats a wash (PUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!) but I think it's asking for trouble with an old motor, and soaking/degrading a poorly maintained OE paper filter element. IMO.

Old carburated cars would have a breather filter inside the air cleaner housing. A little (sometimes washable) sponge that would soak up the oil fumes and let air pass before hitting the paper element. Seems like a simple solution that would work well on a Buell. Whatever you put in there, be careful as its inside the intake tract and theres nothing to stop it from going down the TB.
    CoOters buddy, TPEHAK posted up this neat-o cross section of the PCV valves on the XB. He's not guessing, as it looks like he actually ran one through a bandsaw.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-11-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Tequila City with vacation home in Bourbonville
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post

Looks much simpler than the full reroute. My new steed has only a mild dusting of oil in the box so not worried about volume, nor condensation here in AZ.
    Thanks guys.

Ha! I remember that. Crazy genius... is still crazy

He probably tried to sell the internal pieces but was going to add 30% if you showed up to his door to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post

I have read through all these forums on the breather re route and still have not read a clear cut answer on whether you should do this. Im guessing the reasoning is because everyone lives in different areas and bikes react differently everywhere. So heres a question to add to the above attempt which i am going to try just because why not. But why not add a breather filter to the end of either both of these hoses or to the T so you have just 1 breather filter? Yes you still get the hot air from the engine (which from what I understand the bike was designed that way?), but you wont get the debris if there is any being sucked in. I know you want cool clean air to be sucked in for the best results. Im going to mess with it this spring and see if I notice any type of difference with all of the ways ive seen on this forum. Just thinking out loud dont mind me and my useless ramble.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast