Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breather Reroute

it just lets the crankcase breath and get cleaner air
    I partially disagree, The crank case will breathe with out it. That's what the two hoses from the PCV valves going into the air box are for.
    The crank case does not get cleaner air because the PCV valve vents from behind the air filter already. It should however allow for the engine to breathe air that is not partially oil saturated (for combustion)

Well I am gonna hold off then, and do some inspecting at the end of the ride season. Thanks guys..

I did it to prevent oil mixing with my intake and gumming it up. I recommend you do. BUT only after you remove the upper intake cover (to expose air filter) you will see two hoses sticking up look in that area and see if it is all oily. Mine was with only 1500 miles

Will do this weekend

15,000 miles on my 09 without it no oil in my airbox throttle body is clean.i think people that have other problems with theyre bike benefit from it not dumping oil in the airbox.unless you have excessive blow-by you really dont need it.the little filter looks kind of cool though

my bike was dropped, maybe while laying on its side the oil leaked
    either way I am satisfied with the mod

a lot of people swear by it and if works for them thats awesome.i have noticed that not as many people with newer model bikes give it good reviews

I honestly don't notice a difference either way. But mine just diverts the breather elsewhere. No goofy filters or catch cans

It should however allow for the engine to breathe air that is not partially oil saturated (for combustion)
    thats what i meant by....

just lets the crankcase breath and get cleaner air

you all may want to checkout this thread here
    Oil in my Airbox

read through it and watch ALL the videos.

if your not having any problems with oil in the airbox or stuttering or some hesitation,
    then you may not need the breather re-route.
    (but the breahter re-route , may not elimnate the entire problem if there is more to the problem),

the point of the breather reroute is to keep the oil mist spray and vapor and crankcase gases from entering in to the intake . the gases and oil mist and vapors dont burn very well and cause your engine to run at BELOW its' OPTIMUM level .

there is many sides to this breather reroute mod "debate" !! it helps most bikes with the small simaliar problem and some it doesn't help much or not at all more than likely because of other problems.(usually problems that was not properly diagnosed or troubleshoted)

here's another thread on this too , & search for more..
    http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...-breather-line

from the service manual:
    Crankcase Breathing System ,see fig.3-114. Presure created in the flywheel area on the piston downstroke is released through the REED VALVE into the gear case. From there a mixtre of crankcase air and oil mist is vented up the push rod covers to the upper rocker box(top of head).
    see fig.3-115. Air is allowed to escape the rocker boxes by exiting the postive crankcase vent(PCV) valves(4)
    locatedon top of the rocker boxes (top of rocker cover/valve cover).From the PCV valves the air enters the crankcase breather hoses(2,& 3). The crankcase breather hoses route through the air cleaner base plate (1) to the air box where it isdirected inside the air filter element and back into the engine. the oil mist collects and eventually returns to the crankcase through oil passageways in the cylinder heads. that how it is originally designed to work. maybe that might help you understand it somewhat better. see figures below..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast