Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E85 anybody

was just wondering if anyone had put any ethenol in their bikes yet. some people around here are running it in non flex fuel vehicles, say it runs fine. can also get 110 octane ethenol, is it worth a test run?

Doesn't sound like a good idea. I think its hard on your fuel system(fuel pump, lines, etc.). And you will be running very lean.

I'm thinking ask your dealer, maybe they can help you out with that one, if not, then don't risk it. You should be getting well over 40MPG even if you drive like a Freakin' Hooligan (like me :p) well at least where it's safe to do so, for you and everybody else.

DO NOT USE ETHENOL!!! it will in a very short time eat your gaskets and seals, dropping the compression in your motor and requiring a full rebuild to repair. plus it will run like crap on ethanol. less power and less mileage.

plus it will run like crap on ethanol
    I do not recommend running it cause it will damage the motor over time. But I have ran it through my 9r and it ran really good but it is not worth the end result (motor rebiuld). Ethenol is Alcohol with 15% gas so people won't drink it. It burns hotter and faster. I could be wrong but dont beleive so.

That is a cool web-site. But they dont talk about the effect it has on the fuel lines and gaskets. Good find though.:)

Me thinks maybe looking up the required mods to just run straight alcohol and then making your own alcohol (which is legal in some states as long as it is not intended for consumption!!!!!)....
    I think you have to increase compression.....
    More to follow on this....

Follow Up 1... you have to get a license/permit from the ATF to make your own alcohol for fuel....

Follow Up 2... you have to change out any and all fittings/hoses that will come into contact with the fuel with aircraft grade fuel lines/steel lines/ or urethane lines. The alcohol will eat through these...

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths

Needed to add a little more, I will be putting the conversion kit on my 'bolt as soon as we have more stations in Idaho that sell E85, currently we only have 3 pumps in the whole state

Yeah, you can make more power on E85, you can run more compression, it's alcohol. You will use a lot more fuel though, and it sounds like a decsent amount of work to change everything over. You will also need a crazy re-map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast