Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstand Fell Off

How this has happened to me, I will never know. About two months ago, I noticed my 05 XB9R Firebolt was leaning a lot toward the shifter side of the bike. So, I got down in a crouch and put some weight on it to have both of the bolts holding the kickstand onto the bike break off and have the bike fall on top of me. No harm, no foul other than needing to replace the bolts.

Then, last night happened. I went out for a short ride, and when I got home, there was no kickstand, and no bolts - completely gone. When I replaced it the last time, I used two lock washers and Loctite to hold it into the bike. I honestly didn't torque them in because I didn't know the setting and I felt that the Loctite and lock washers would be sufficient.

Has anyone else had this problem or am I just cursed? Also, does anyone know the torque setting that the bolts should be tightened to?

Thanks in advance.

No you are so not cursed. I had the same problem. I was sure that when I put my Hawk Exhaust on that the additional vibration was loosening the bolts. I finally took the exhaust off, re-tightened everything and used Loctite just like you described and so far it's held up. I am not sure of the torque setting but I do feel your pain!

Same thing happen to me went out for a long ride got back home and no kickstand or bolt. Read up on it and found out if you have a buell 05 and older you have to replace the bolt and stand. So I had to tie my bike up to a pole till my kickstand came in.

not to jack your thread but i have noticed my kick stand feels like it has some slop in it. when i first got the bike it used to fling down no problem. now it goes 3/4s of the way down then i have to push it the rest of the way with my foot. i almost worry the bike is going to fall

TRUST REPLACE IT, THATS HOW MY STARTED.

well played sir. ill order one tomorrow.

Yep. About a month ago my bike was "sitting funny". Looked under there and 1 of the bolts was 90% of the way out. The other was about half out. I have about 30k on it and this was the first kick stand issue but I still recommend everyone check yours regardless..

I'd suggest something like this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-lockab...screws/=da0198

Just wire the little buggers together. :) They may loosen a bit, but they aren't going to fall out.

hahaha... welcome to the club!

mine was fun! a group of us were away on our annual buell muster ride. mine fell off on one section of the ride. didnt know till i came to stop for fuel. kicked the foot out to drop the side stand and there was nothing there. almost dropped the bike. spent a few minutes riding around to find somewhere to lean her on. the missus showed up a short time later and wondered why my bike was parked up against a bin. told her what happened and she started grinning. she reckons she saw it on the rode about 30klms back, but as being a new rider we had encouraged her not to target fixate, so she didnt look at it too closely but made sure to ride round it, but thinking about it she thought it was starnge to see 'that odd piece of metal in the middle of the road there!'

i have had three come loose on all my pre 05 buells, got the upgrade bolt from the 06 onwards ( i think) each time and never had the issue since.

Hi

Just had my sidestand replace under recall. Bike is a 03 xb9r. The recall kit comes complete but no pivot bolt is supplied. Mech at stealer found a crack in the threaded part of old bolt and has ordered another. Will fit it when it arrives.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast