Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB9 primary in a XB12

I dont really go fast on my XB, I mostly do city riding with it so I am not concerned about the lack of or reduced top end.

Can anyone who has done this mod chime in? Hows it feel? Any regrets? Was the install hard? Would you do it again?

Thanks!

Did it and love it ! but i burn up rear tires like crazy. I am a bit of a wrench head so i love taken **** apart and puttin it back together. I did it when the bike was new so it came apart easy but these bike are much more simple to work on then the jap crap it took me about 3 1/2 hours to do.

what was the power difference? and why were you burning up tires

shorter gear ratio.

did you get the parts from asb?

how bad are your rpms at freeway speeds? I have considered this but don't want to loose drivability.

I done the conversion on my 12S... LOVE IT, BUT... Higher rpm on highway speeds is the downside. I can still bring it up to 130mph just to see.. way too much speed for me so I don't suffer from the lost in speed but the 0-60 power gain is considerable and worth it. I had no issues in doing the switch but I wouldn't say its a beginner mod. Took me 2.5 hours but I was in no rush. A few important things to know when doing the mod: check your primary gasket and make sure it is 100% if you plan on not replacing it & keeping the old one (I kept my old... no problems), make sure you have a torque wrench that will make it to 250in/pound before you start the job, you also want to make sure you'll locktight those primary sprocket bolts to the rotor and with red (not blue) & I also super cleaned my rotor/sprocket shaft&nut (the one you need to torque @ 250) in order to locktite (red not blue) that bolt when reassembling. It's not a tough one... but requires some mechanical knowledge. Enjoy!

Also: The engine sprocket nut is 28mm metric. Make sure you have a good/long pry bar to take out that nut... OH AND A SPROCKET LOCKING TOOL! SUPER IMPORTANT!!! I made one out of steel. I can tell you the dimensions it'll avoid you buying the tool online. Costs nothing to do. I can even sell you mine for 5$ + shipping if you want. I won't need it anymore. Let us know if you need assistance / info

Haha! ... one last thing... one of those bolts (engine sprocket nut or inner clutch nut) is counter rotative. This is important 'cause if you use a long/strong pry bar on that nut you'll f&$K things up real real bad because those two are tough to get out. You could end up putting enough tightening pressure to make serious damage if you force the wrong one. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch nut that is reverse. Some can confirm? Otherwise I can look it up and let you know... I have this info somewhere.

kool thanks for the advice, ill wait to my friend gets back to town to see if he wants to do it with me. he has an XB too and is a gear head as well.

what rpm does it sit at say....60-70mph?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast